Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum members

Good morning...

Is it really that hard when you’re copying and pasting a www link in your reply to make it a ‘clickable’ link? Just use the very easy symbols and text before and after your links like I described on one of the pinned posts on top of this forum.
Thanks!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Re: Forum members

Hi Sven

Sounds pretty hard, is it whitworth or metric?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

Good that you get the point......

Cheers, Sven

;-)

Yes I agree Sven, I've stopped trying to copy and paste links using my fingers on the screen when using my phone or iPad. It's not hard to add url etc before and after the link.

email (option): horrorhouse@blueyonder.co.uk

I've never managed to make it work. I'm not sure that I can be arsed to faff around for the sake of people who find it too difficult to open a link in a new window.

Hi Rik,

Just follow these easy steps:

Knipsel
Knipsel

On a desktop computer it doesn't bother me either but on my smartphone it's better to just click on it instead of (trying to) select the link, copy it and paste in on a new page.

Cheers, Sven

I think I understand now Sven, you want everyone to learn and perform a complex new task so the few people who have this current generation of smartphone's don't have to perform a more simple task?

Rob:grinning:

Sven
Hi Rik,

Just follow these easy steps:

Knipsel
Knipsel

On a desktop computer it doesn't bother me either but on my smartphone it's better to just click on it instead of (trying to) select the link, copy it and paste in on a new page.

Cheers, Sven
I'm just off to buy a bigger magnifying glass, Sven. I'll be right back ! :grinning:

Rob Miller
I think I understand now Sven, you want everyone to learn and perform a complex new task so the few people who have this current generation of smartphone's don't have to perform a more simple task?

Rob:grinning:

It's a simple task on a computer but not on a touch screen device. Sometimes it's impossible to highlight all the link.

I believe the smartphone is flawed, it's trying to be a "jack of all trades" and performs all its functions badly and only whilst the battery lasts, but perhaps some years down the line the mark 100 may be fit for purpose but I doubt it.

I'm old school, I have a mobile phone to make phone calls, a digital camera to take photos, a torch to see in the dark and a computer to access the internet, I appreciate that I can't have all these in my pocket at all times, but with forward planning and some good old fashioned patience I get by.

But it bugs me when "trendy" people who have to have the latest incredibly expensive sh#t gadgets then demand the rest of the world put themselves out to make up the difference when their "super technology" lets them down.

IMHO.

Rob

You're getting a bit personal here Rob.....
I don't think we've ever met so I just read your last paragraph as a general statement.

The reason I made this point is to question why we make life so hard for ourselves sometimes. So let's be efficient with the use of high tech devices so we can spend more time on what's really important; Motorcycles!

Regards,

Sven

Hi Sven

It wasn't intended as a personal attack on anyone, but a general hatred of technology, my ability to understand it end's with the single cylinder side valve girder fork motorcycle.

Next week there will probably be an "ap" to sort out your current smartphone problem and we old fogies could have wasted hours of our time wrestling with your fix for no good purpose.

Rob

html and pictures

It has taken me over 40 years to get where i am in the old motorcyle world and i can tackle most things that are put in front of me. But adding direct links and most of all adding pictures is just a pain in the arse. I have just tried to download a picture related to dynamo rotation to help a forum member, it's just a waste of my time and like Rob I'm just old school. It's also eating into my shed time as i have a 3 brush dynamo to sort out them rewire the bike. Much more fun than trying to upload photos and links to this forum, pity as a few years ago i could add them to this forum. It's warming up here now and time to pull the dust sheet of the old Norton, coat of waxoyl, check over and off for a spin.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Re: html and pictures

So it should look like this?

well that didn't work!" target="_blank">

well that didn't work!
" target="_blank">http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php

well that didn't work!

Sven

I know you are trying to help us with this Sven, but problem is a lot of us are just too old to learn a new way of doing something. As soon as we get to grips with it the way of doing it has changed and we have to start over again. Another problem is that there are to many variations on how to do it.
Sure Rob was not having a dig at you at all, he is just frustrated with the way we have to go to add links and pictures. You can try for hours and just waste your time, all very frustrating.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

I don't no why this Bravenet site doesn't work like all the other sites I visit? I have mastered a simple way to post pictures now, but the old photobucket idea was a work up! So good riddance to them. But I just tried Sven's instructions on the dynamo thread and it was a total cock up.

So I have to physically type those [brackets] and url's before and after each link? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I haven't got an Iphone or a television...Amazingly I manage to get by with just a desktop, an old mobile (used only for emergencies) and a camera or two, both film and digital...and a few other 'low tech' outdated devices...

I can remember a time when people weren't psychologically dependent on their phone service...I suppose that makes me a dinosaur...Not to worry, .....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I agree with both points of view here. With technology, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but unfortunately when they do brake, you have to buy the latest thing which isn't compatible with all your old stuff. My printer packed in so had to by another, that doesn't work on my old computer so I've had to upgrade that. The TV stopped working yesterday so bought what's on the market now, no scart connections, so the video and DVD players won't fit it without buying adapters ( yes I've still got a video player) Unfortunately things move on and although I much prefer using the PC, my iPad (which was one of our boys old ones) is very handy. I don't have to go up stairs, wait while the PC loads up etc, just to check the forum or eBay. It sits on the coffee table and I can check it anytime. I can also take it out to the garage and take a picture and post it straight to a forum without having to connect the camera up etc etc etc. But it has it's disadvantages, or probably I do with my clumpy fingers trying to highlight links on a small screen. It's not the end of the world if I can't see a link, but it would be very helpful if the link worked 🙂👍

A lot of it's about selling products...Not about how much people actually need the latest 'innovation'...

Constant changes to systems, software and hardware ensure we have to keep buying to remain operational...Technology applied for genuine improvement is OK but when applied for the sake of it it's not..
Most modern devices have far more features/capacity than are ever used...Cameras, washing machines, cars, phones, computers, TVs to name but a few...Does anyone use more than 25% of the capacity?...Often not I think.

That is technology applied for the sake of it and is ultimately bad design, but it certainly helps to make a sale to the people who believe life will end if they don't have the latest features...

Everyone should read a book on the psychology of selling...It would change many peoples views and lead them to stop and think about who is actually making the decisions and what they really need...:laughing: ...Ian

My pet hate is multi-functional buttons. We have a TV but since the 'digibox' came, I can't work it. I was alright with a knob to turn between BBC and ITV and even got on alright with four nice mechanical buttons which, wonder of wonders could change a channel immediately ! Now what do we have ? Stupid little remote controls with multiple menus and five minutes needed to change channels, by which time I've pressed it three times more, thinking that it's not working so I end up watching channel 666 again !

...and I regularly go out without the mobile phone, revelling in the fact that no-one can contact me.

The big problem on here of course is that the 'Bravenet' message boards bear about as much relation to a decent forum as the the 'Braveheart' film did to real history ! Basically, it's bollocks.

How much would we have to pay to have a forum with some photo-hosting capacity ?

No problems posting photos with imgur...Even I found it easy...Ian

...but how long will they last, Ian ? I've suffered both with ImageShack and PhotoBucket. Which one's next ?

On several occasions the operating system has been updated only to render software packages (cad, video editing, photo editing) to be rendered unuseable. Thanks MS for trashing these tools that have costs me hundreds. I know I should opt for open source and eff of the corporates but I resent the waste of my time, whcih gets more valuabkle as you get older.

Anyway, let's have another go at inserting a clickable link.......

Nope, despite following Sven's instructions !" target="_blank">

Nope, despite following Sven's instructions !
" target="_blank">https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php

Nope, despite following Sven's instructions !

Maybe it only works with windows 10, and downhill with the wind behind you?

I'm still on windows 7 and XP

Rob

www.bsaownersclub.co.uk

Is it so difficult to read well Dean?

Cheers,

Sven

:smiley: :smiley: Even you appear to have cocked up Sven.....Glad it's not just us numpties!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

😀😀😀 ok let's see if I can do it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_16H#WW2_WD16H

You type url in [ ] brackets like that, then paste the link, then type /url in the same brackets after the link.

[]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FROM-JAPAN-British-military-motorcycle-BSA-M20-MP-set-35316-Tamiya/142556165168?epid=710483426&hash=item2131027430:g:N4gAAOSwa81Z9a0S[/url]

nope

You didn't type url in the first lot of brackets, you did the end part right.

Yes I cab read thanks Sven (despite th very samll text you post with. I tried twice without success.Lay off the patronising please.

Aha maybe I missed the / in the second url. Blame my eyesight. Thank goodness I don't have to do this on a phone!

Nieuwe pagina 1