Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dismantling a gearbox

I have been given a gearbox which looks similiar to my friend Stuart Gibbins M20 and also the gearbox in my Bsa R4.
The shell is not fixed and also all nuts and bolts joining the inner and outer covers have been removed, my problem is that I cannot seperate these 2 covers, obviously I have removed both circlips and the chrome indicator ring .
The outer cover will move along both kickstart and gearlever shafts but I suspect that something is amiss on the gearlever shaft inside the cover
can some kind person please give me some idea what the problem might be , and, how to fix it.
Thank you.

email (option): vaughanmiles@btinternet.com

Re: Dismantling a gearbox

The kick start quadrant and spring are attached to the outer cover so should move with the cover. Can the gear shaft be tapped in as you draw the cover off?

I finally got the box apart after a struggle due to the gearchange bush in the outer cover being rusted solid.
Once inside I found some small bits and pieces missing which I,m hoping Draganfly will have.
I cannot, however identify the type of box from the numbers underneath, which are 15-4177,
Any clues please ?? to what type it is.

email (option): vaughanmiles@btinternet.com

Best post some photos Vaughan.

Here's a discussion on that number some years ago, not sure if it helps.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1251676&cmd=show

And did you have a look at the Technical Section on the website? There are at least three items treating the gearbox :grinning:

15-4177 Is a standard blue-star gearbox box shell, the internals are the same as WM20 as well as other 30’s models. The outer cover is different, however that cover was used on other models as well.
So WM20 parts will work in a blue star shell and blue star internals will work in a WM20 shell.

In fact the only difference on 20’s gearboxes is the length of the main shaft, the gears are the same from flat tankers to Slopers and V twins, except for close ratio boxes.

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1