Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 problems

Sorry for clogging the forum with boring mundane questions .

I bought a complete set of cables for the MW20 intending on replacing and keeping the old for spare as a couple of the cables are frayed and have cracks in the outer sheath .The annoying bit is ALL the repo cables are shorter than what came off some by 40mm and a couple by 50mm , the inners and outers are both different .The only cable that is ok in the overall length is the clutch but the outer sheath is 50mm shorter :rage:

I thought at first not a problem as I'm fitting the earlier levers so I can modify the "gash" cables , problem is the cables have no slack left in them . Who are the best people to source the cables from ?.

Also started to have a nosy around the wiring ,wouldn't say that's the best of jobs modern double ins wire etc :face_with_rolling_eyes: .

The connections into the regulator have had the modern type bullet connectors chopped and opened up in an attempt to make these fit .Who ever attempted to make these fit have obviously applied a fair bit of force as they have stripped the thread out of on of the screw holes and the other has actually been ripped out of its socket .Numbers on the case of the regulator are 6-MCR1 L31......on the reg body LRT8 L4 6V 33015A 1 50 .All I can find on the internet is a MCR2 ?

Ammeter is also incorrect :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Thanks again

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Re: WM20 problems

Hi Dave

Have you got standard handlebars?

MCR1 is correct, yours appears to be dated January 1950 (1 50). MCR2 is postwar and bigger but will still work with the wartime Dynamo (1 countersunk screw on top) or postwar longer version (2 countersunk screws on top).

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller
Hi Dave

Have you got standard handlebars?

MCR1 is correct, yours appears to be dated January 1950 (1 50). MCR2 is postwar and bigger but will still work with the wartime Dynamo (1 countersunk screw on top) or postwar longer version (2 countersunk screws on top).

Rob
Hi Rob

Sorry I don't know if the bars are standard I'm not up to speed with the WM20 .I was a bit concerned about the regulator when all I could find was the MCR2 ,I was starting to think I was going to struggle finding one suitable .I'll order a MCR2 to replace the "ropey" one as its seen better days, I'd rather replace it now just in case it decides to let me down.

Thanks

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Sending email. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Dave

If you are not too concerned with 100% originality, then buy a solid state modern voltage regulator. The DVR2 is the best on the market and lots of M20 owners use them. They fit inside the body of the old regulator, so you cannot see them.

Make sure that you buy one to suit the polarity of the bike's wiring system (positive or negative earth). They can be used for 6 or 12v. So when LED head light bulbs get better you can get 12v bulbs to suit at a later date.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

If after 75 odd years these are the only bodges you find you will be very lucky. Usually 100's of people have had a go at everything, you will probably keep finding things not right for years!

I second that.it's just one thing after another and it's supposed to be fun 😂😂😂😂

email (option): andrewbell12@hotmail.co.uk

Gave up on over the counter cables years ago.
made my own been on there close to 15 years ago and they are still going strong.
Put floating barrels on the handle bar ends so the inner can rotate and they will never wear out or break ( clutch & brake )
Throttle and valve lifter get standard ends.
I run a concentric with original twist grip so I have to make a custom cable in any case for it.
The dynamo cable is original.

From memory Russel Motors still have original cables.

Clean them with Kerro ( parrafin to some ) then lube with push bike gear change lube ( I use Tri-Flow ) and the next set is the last set you will fit.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

If you send your original cables to JJ Cables he will copy them ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1