Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ignition Timing Clarification

I think I'll stick to the usual method. Seems a lot of effort to remove the chain-case and make some sort of locking bar to me. The idea of a pre set bolt in the timing hole sounds good though. At least you know when the piston has reached the exact spot each time. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Quote thing won't work

In your first paragrapgh you say you did the ciggy paper thing then adjusted the max gap to 12 thou. Its the other way round. Set the max gap first otherwise the one will undo the other if you know what I mean.

I made my own timing tool using the below plans.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Magneto_Timing/Jim_Wier's_Timing_Fixture_2.jpg

This is for an aircraft magneto tool, aircraft generally having dual magnetos, but you just omit one of the legs of the circuit.

Its quite a good tool, sadly, it doesn't stop me getting the timing 180 degrees out :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Sorry Gerard. I don't think that will make sense to most of us? Ron

Has anyone explained to Aaron that the ignition advance cable of the magneto must be on the right side of the points ?
And not on the left side (that would turn everything around)

Well that is a good point Michael! Although the instructions clearly state to set the timing with the lever at full advance. The correct magneto will have a tight wire advance (cable position at the rear most part of the mag and pull the handlebar lever towards you) However it will work just the same with a slack wire advance (Cable at the front of the mag, push the lever away)....Probably teaching granny to suck eggs here! Ron

You reject the idea rather quickly, Ron, still working on it....:smile: :smile:

Just made a simple adjustable cross bar from a piece of stud, a nut and a tube. The adjustment gives the opportunity to fine-turn the crank up to the 7/16" BTC point or to a pistonstop and will keep it there firmly when fastening the mag-nut.

IMG 4172

My engine has no piston at the moment so i cannot test it fully and find out how it reacts on the backslash/play in the geartrain but will be soon and be back here.

and yes it means removal of the chaincover, but for me that is one of the last items I put on the bike anyway.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Well I wouldn't reject it out of hand Michiel, but I also wouldn't bother to remove my chaincase if I had to reset my timing. But definitely worth thinking about during a period of engine rebuild. Especially after you've done the groundwork to prove that it works perfectly :relaxed:

Regards Ron

Michael
Has anyone explained to Aaron that the ignition advance cable of the magneto must be on the right side of the points ?
And not on the left side (that would turn everything around)
I have the right-side/tight cable advance and know to check/adjust with lever at full advance. I neglected to note that in my original query, so thanks for double-checking!

['Has anyone explained to Aaron that the ignition advance cable of the magneto must be on the right side of the points ?
And not on the left side (that would turn everything around)...]'

That is all explained in the article on ignition timing in the 'Technical Section' of this site...The article covers from basic principles through to setting the ignition...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Why not go about it the other way round ,piston at T D C points set 12 thou lever full retard points just opening and advance as needed when under way,that is how we used to do it, bearing in mind these engines are hardly F1 .

To my mind Charlie, whether it's a racing engine or stationary engine, the ignition timing must be set accurately for maximum performance and more importantly, lack of damage. Surely it's just as much effort to set the timing at TDC on full retard,(which will only set the timing by guesswork) as it is to set it properly. :confused: Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1