Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1942 WM20 Tinware Identification help please :)

And this tool box? Thought it might be early B31 B33 but not sure...

20180418 163704 Large
20180418_163730_Large
20180418_163715_Large

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Thanks all. :)e Looks like the Inner Chaincase is from a plunger model M20 then. It has the steeper mount.
The outer may be from C or B series? The foot peg shaft hole appears to be hex shaped. Was that a C or B series thing? I can't tell from google image photos....

The toolbox also baffles me. I've been google image searching all different BSA, Matchless, ariel tool boxes and can't seem to find what it is. Has a squared off corner that is quite narrow - the Matchless one that is similar is quite a bit longer 'square off'. So still don't know anything about the toolbox... either.

Looks like I have some selling to do - move the parts on, to raise funds for correct ones.

Marty the toolbox looks like Matchless. Did you see the pictures I sent with my last email?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, yes, thank you for the photos you sent me. My toolbox does look LIKE the matchless one, but you'll note the 'squared off' corner is about half the length of the matchless one. This one baffles me.

I've also been googling the hell out of the mudguards, and for the life of me can't pin point the guards either. The Front does, as others have mentioned here, look like a B31 front guard, but even they seem to have indents for the forks, and mine does not. The rear perhaps may well be for a WM20 as others have advised, but I wonder how I'd go finding the rear removable section?!

Cheers

Just take your time, Marty, and you will find the parts you need.
In the end, it will be worth the effort.

Does anyone think the Front fender is for a Norton 16H? They seem to have fenders without indents for forks, with the rolled front lip and the rib stops short of the front stay/stand bolt hole.... ??

The front guard does look quite Norton-like in terms of the rib-pressing but the section looks too flat. Nortons too have quite a pronounced inverted 'V' at the head of the rib but this can be lost during repairs. Certainly the mounting holes (if original) are not Norton and look as if they would have suited a one-piece front stay.

Front_mudguard

The toolbox though looks like 1946-on Norton, although I don't have one to compare the fine details with.

Thanks RIK! We have a winner on the tool box. '46, '47 Model 18 Norton and Model 77 Norton! Thank you!
1952_model77_export_brochure_only_jpg
Dad_s_old_Norton_500

I may not say this at a BSA website, but what great Nortons these are !

The twin without rear suspension is new to me, really, never seen one before.
You learn every day.

The initial use of the 'Model 77' name was for the Australia-only rigid. A few survive there but not many. It was a single batch and never catalogued anywhere else in the world. No-one really seems to know why they were built - resistance to plungers ? Norton were small though and would listen to importers.

hehehe. Funny thing is, I've often dreamed of building a Twin matchless, in a rigid frame. Not sure why mind you... Light weight and more go from the twin maybe... ;)

Pre-war Triumph twins, rigid with girders do look special and of course no-one else built anything similar. I wouldn't want a more potent engine than a softly-tuned 500 though.

The tool box was fitted to all post war Norton rigid and plunger bikes except Model 7 Dommie. This includes International, ES2, Model 18, Big 4 and Model 19. The rigid Model 77 pictures is a very rare bike and not many were made and is the rigid version of the plunger Model 7, the same as the post war Model 18 is the rigid version of the plunger ES2. Odd that they had a different toolbox for the Model 7 when the 77 used the same as all the other models.

email (option): horrorhouse@blueyonder.co.uk

Update :
I believe the Front mudguard is for a Ariel WNG.

Now, the real question is this: The inner Chain Case seems to have 66-7602 stamped on the inside. Now, I had to interpolate to get those numbers, but I thought the 7602 bit might have been 1602 or 3602, but then when looking thru M20 parts lists, i found 66-7601 and acertained it had to be 66-7602 as the '602'is VERY clear.

Question: Is 66-7602 for a later model plunger framed M20? I'm building a '42 Rigid WM20, so think I need 66-7601.

Marty I think 7601 part number is for the assembly ( 'chaincase rear with fixed fittings and sliding plate') and the chaincase itself is stamped with 66-7602.

I have a couple of these that I believe are WM20 and both are stamped with the 7602.

Ray

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

The '47 parts list for rigid C10/C11 models gives the outer cover number as 29-8085..I don't have a later C Series parts list I'm afraid...

The hexagon hole is C Series not B Series...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I've just been able to confirm 29-8085 Chaincase outer part number on mine. You are correct. C10/C11. Thank you!! I managed to find my number, and clean it up to just barely read it with some interpolation. Cheers.

So starting to look like I have the correct inner case. Needs a little work though. :) Thanks guys!

Nieuwe pagina 1