Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WM20 Girder fork lengths

There is a difference in length of 1/2" and you hardly notices this difference. The short one has part number 66-5023 while the longer forks have part number 66-5016. The short forks are pretty hard to find but the long forks are getting pretty difficult to find too. The red arrow is where the difference in length is. I could use a short one myself and would happily swap it for the longer version.

Henk

Front_forks_WM20

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Those dimensions are next to impossible to read !

Hans I studied my version of that drawing and came up with the main measurements here. The 1/2" difference that Henk mentions is made up for on the center mudguard support with a simple 1/2" hex spacer......More to do with necessity than cosmetics. Ron

Scan_140318_0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

These dimensions are not important in this post, just the red arrow to indicate where the difference in length is between short and long forks.

Henk

I agree Henk, but handy to have to check if you think your forks might be bent sideways.:confused: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you guys. Most informative.
I wondered why some bikes have a 1/2" nut under the center fender support and some didn't. I also note that some bikes have the nut, but probably shouldn't as the fender crowds the front tyre.

Cheers for clarifying.

I have my eye on a complete fork set I'm trying to obtain. Exciting times!

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

When you try to fit a front mudguard on long forks without that spacer you struggle to tighten it all up as it really need that (1/2") spacer.

Henk

Marty,

Be wary of the new Indian made copies, they are untested (any one who has bought them has not commented here on them) with suspect production techniques and are considered good for static displays only.

That's an interesting question indeed.
Anyone had any toubles with the Indian forks ?

I've only heard of a fella in Australia having a link spindle shear and fail. Also fit was not great and had to make some 'adjustment's'. But not too much info out there. I'm looking for an original though. :)

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

I have seen these Indian forks and you have to be very desperate to fit one of these. Even just for what they look like. Poor quality ugly castings while that should be forgings which are much stronger.

Henk

I've had a good look at the Indian forks after all the paint was blasted off a set my friend bought with a view to fitting on a Levis project....

There are multiple reasons why I wouldn't consider using a set, cosmetically, dimensionally and structurally...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I bought an Indian made set of forks last year out of desperation before finding a genuine set.
The Indian ones were like a characature of the real ones. Horrible castings instead of forgings and to add insult to injury were not even straight. I would never have fitted them.
Regards Jon

email (option): jonsewell8@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1