Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dynamo woes

Strip it clean the gunge out check for free rotation, clean brush contact surfaces, give it a bit of a spin in the correct direction of rotation when attempting to motor, then stop and try again, fail to run now, check coil,manual has a section on it, do easy bit first,

Thanks. I thought the correct type was the E3LM ?..
Anyway, I have just stripped it and cleaned all components and its now motoring up !
Richard

email (option): RICHARDPURKISS@HOTMAIL.COM

E3H = short rated 48 watts + MCR1 regulator
E3L = long rated 60 watts + MCR2 regulator

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If your bike is not used for a prolonged period of time, the field coil can lose its residual magnetism. Flashing a dynamo can be sufficient to kick it back into life. Make sure that you flash it to the polarity of your bike's electrics (i.e. positive or negative earth).

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

ps I can't really see from the photo, but are your brushes a bit worn down?

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

They dont seem worn to me. Still a good bit of pressure on them from the springs.:+1:

Stripped and cleaned. Lot of rust on the armature surfaces and the field coil plate.
Very minimal output on the bench test, so put it back on the bike anyway.
Started her up an on medium idle its pushing out 7-8 volts so it must be spinning fairly fast (my elec hand screwdriver is fairly slow I guess)! Which sounds good to me. Just hope the regulator is up to it now !!
Richard.

Nieuwe pagina 1