The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WM20 Levers

Dave
I hope not, because that's exactly what I've got on mine.

They are the BSA pre-war levers that did continue for a while on WM20's and probably amended by 1941? But I won't tell if you don't :relaxed:
You just need to find the long adv/ret lever to complete the set. I have them on my 1940 bike complete with the horn push and dip switch...... Artistic licence:smiley: Ron

M20_310

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

From the photos I have I can see that they are used up to around frame number WM20 24000.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks for that Henk. So somewhere around mid 1940? That suits me fine:slightly_smiling_face: Ron

Thats a shame ,so it wouldn't be correct fitting them ...............frame number 46535 date of despatch 10-10-1941:face_with_rolling_eyes: .

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Well I'm planning on fitting them to my bike and it's a '42.
Aren't the rivet counters going to have a field day!
Seriously though they seem much better quality than the later ones and mine were totally worn out with pressed steel levers.
On another note I can't believe how many of these are still kicking around nos.

email (option): meck04@bigpond.com

Hi Dave.

My bike is from August 1941 and it has these early levers.

They are a piece of art to look at. And the handbrake works quite well.

Good luck with your final deciscion.

Regards, ramon😎😎

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Yes, I would fit them for sure if I had them spare, they are great and work perfect. And they were even fitted on some early postwar models so they were not outdated by 42

Mind you that the left top lever is the valve lifter, often confused with the ignition which has a separate lever.

And please don't polish them:grinning: . They look great how they are now, some surplus cosmoline is easily removed when you apply a little heat.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

There do seem to be a lot of these levers appearing on the market, I suppose that happens when prices reach a certain level. I don't think we can refer to them as rare any more though?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

They look great, Dave.
Just use them.

Are these the levers that the cable is held in by a clamp bolt. If so I have a NOS set that will go one my 1942 when it is restored.

Yes, on these the cable pulls through .

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all the responses . I've decided I'm going to fit them to the bike .As Ron mentioned I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the Long Amal lever to complete the set . I have found a chromed version (not Amal) but don't know what the metal is under the chrome .

Dave

A soak in kerosene will also get rid of the cosmoline.

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

Ramon
Hi Dave.

My bike is from August 1941 and it has these early levers.

They are a piece of art to look at. And the handbrake works quite well.

Good luck with your final deciscion.

Regards, ramon😎😎
Hi Ramon

That's interesting "handbrake" :thinking_face: , did I read somewhere that one was used as the brake for a sidecar ? Hope I manage to find the correct "long" Amal lever then I can move the air/decompressor .

Regards
Dave

Great looking lever set. I am wondering about my '42. However, I think I'll end up using much later model Amal levers (sans ball knobs on ends) the WM levers look like they'd be a huge reach for little hands. I want my missus to be able to enjoy the WM also when it's finished. :)

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Dave just to confirm the procedure. The lever on top of the clutch is the VALVE lifter. It has no friction ability to be used as the mag lever. The long lever further down the bar is for the mag, and the correct type has the single screw swivel clamp.(here's a close up) But in that respect, you can use an ordinary short mag lever until the correct one falls in your lap.

The handbrake is the little button on the front brake lever. (As you say for sidecar use) I've got mine permanently in the off position with tying wire, after an incident at the traffic lights once were I accidentally knocked it on.:flushed:

I've had these pre-war levers on my bike for years, and they are a pleasure to use, much more so that any levers on any of my other bikes, and in my opinion would be more suited to smaller hands than any of the others. Ron
DSCF0682

Ron Pier
Dave just to confirm the procedure. The lever on top of the clutch is the VALVE lifter. It has no friction ability to be used as the mag lever. The long lever further down the bar is for the mag, and the correct type has the single screw swivel clamp.(here's a close up) But in that respect, you can use an ordinary short mag lever until the correct one falls in your lap.

The handbrake is the little button on the front brake lever. (As you say for sidecar use) I've got mine permanently in the off position with tying wire, after an incident at the traffic lights once were I accidentally knocked it on.:flushed:

I've had these pre-war levers on my bike for years, and they are a pleasure to use, much more so that any levers on any of my other bikes, and in my opinion would be more suited to smaller hands than any of the others. Ron
DSCF0682
Thanks for that Ron its made things alot clearer .As you suggest I'll use one of the spare levers for now until I find the correct one.

Might be wise for me to tie the Handbrake button in the off position before I use it :grin:

Dave

The handbrake button is handy to stop the bike rolling off the field stand, but I think the spring in mine is a bit weak...... I was sat at the head of a traffic light queue at a busy junction in Poole....Front brake on, in gear ready to roll when I accidentally flicked the handbrake on, by the time I'd found neutral to use both hands to release the front brake, the lights were red again......I could feel the hatred from behind:fearful: Ron

Managed to get one of the levers clean of the cosmoline and loosely fitted :grinning: .I don't know if the cosmoline stained them but I had to resort to a soft wire brush on the dremel , unfortunately couldn't get it all off .

Decided to renew the cables while I'm on , ordered the cables and found the front brake cable outer sheath is 50mm longer than the one that was on :face_with_rolling_eyes: , ordered another and that was the same so rather than send them back I cut them down.

I removed the handbrake button Ron, knowing my luck I would end up in the same predicament :grin: , is there anyone that sells the curved horn button to match the lever ? .

Thanks

Dave

[/URL]

There's been no mention here of the 2018 practicality of these solderless nipples. I've never had any problems with mine, does anyone know of issues with them? Mine used to break the clutch cable every few thousand miles when it was in regular use, at the usual spot next to the lever. Some time back there was a magnificently grotty ohv BSA in the district that'd had the nipples adapted to take cable that looked like it'd been purloined from the nearest dockyard.

Dave the horn push is Lucas 76206 but I haven't noticed them around lately. There used to be repros. I think the dipswitch Lucas 31405 are still available as repros. Worth searching ebay etc. Good luck. Ron

Ron Pier
Dave the horn push is Lucas 76206 but I haven't noticed them around lately. There used to be repros. I think the dipswitch Lucas 31405 are still available as repros. Worth searching ebay etc. Good luck. Ron
Thanks Ron .I searched the net but couldn't see anything that looked similar , but now with the part numbers that's made it easier .

Thanks again

Dave

These NOS cables have no nipple on the one end so must be for the early type lever.

If you're selling those Steve. I'd like one (or two) please. Ron

Steve S.
These NOS cables have no nipple on the one end so must be for the early type lever.
I'm doing the clutch next , if you do happen to be selling them and if possible I would like to buy one please

Thanks

Dave

Dave, there leads the path to rivet-counting and obsession. Fit one cloth-covered cable and you have to fit them all !

It's a disease, I tell 'ee, a disease !:grinning:

Rik
Dave, there leads the path to rivet-counting and obsession. Fit one cloth-covered cable and you have to fit them all !

It's a disease, I tell 'ee, a disease !:grinning:
Well being a rookie and knowing nothing about the WM20 , I've been reading the forum posts looking at pictures asked a couple of questions got the answers and find myself going around the bike , and still know very little :joy: , oh the ammetre is incorrect too , so looking for a CZ27 (picked that up off the forum too):grin: .

I'm getting a bit worried now , fussy , obsessed or the dreaded............. rivet counter? :laughing:

Nieuwe pagina 1