Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It's alive (and as i appears doing well)

Aloha everybody,

Over easter I got to spend some time with my bikes. It's a somewhat unfortunate story where we currently live on different sides of Sweden, bikes on the west coast and me on the east coast.
Anyway, like five-six years ago I purchased this -47 M21 in baskets and boxes and it's been a slow process. Due to location and lack of time I have for the time being focused on getting it up and running, not focusing on paintjob or appearance.

And now a triggerwarning!
This is not an restoration where all the pieces are "correct", it currently looks pretty much like the original thing but there is still things that may get the pulse going for those who think that all bikes should look exactly like they did when they left the factory. In the future the bike will change even moore and it probably will be getting a smaller tank, different fenders, and perhaps even a sissybar and an upswept exhaust.
I know this is not for everybody, but it is what I like.

Anyway, here is a short video of the bike running just after the first upstart. It took some kicks but not to many. Most of it probably due to me not knowing the bike yet, and the Wassel Concentric not being tuned yet.
Runs well, idles perfectly, no strange noises and oil flowing through to the tank. Still nothing quite like the feeling of starting up a build for the first time!!!

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/OjjKr7rHLJo

Best regards,

Simon

(My other bikes are (currently): Triumph T120 69-ish, -66 Vespa 180 SS, and a -84 Honda XR500r. All bought in baskets)

Re: It's alive (and as i appears doing well)

Oh, and this is what has been done:
Engine completely rebuilt. The barrel was cracked and a new one was located and bored +.20.
Frame straightened in some places.
Fork links rebuilt by Dave Plumb.
Lots of things blasted and painted (such as frame)
Rims and hubs blasted and powder coated, rebuilt with stainless spokes.
New seats built.
Rust inside both tanks removed through electrolytic process (with great success!)
And thousand and one different little things fixed, adjusted and sometimes made by me in the garage, we have the basic machinery; lahte, milling machine and so on.

The bike has a past as an military police-bike on Sri Lanka and came to Sweden i 1988 (I found out by a chance encounter with a guy). Broke down due to a faulty oil feed to the big end, was taken apart and sat like that for many years until I got it back together. It was in a poor state due to a hard life in service and loads of roadside repairs. So many threads was gone it was almost silly. And some of them unfortunately drilled out to metric sizes, like the sump plate bolts for instance.

Anyway feel free to ask if you have any questions!

/simon

Congratulations! It sounds good and healthy! You are an inspiration to all of us working with basket cases.

Best wishes, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Well done.
I've heard bikes from Sri Lanka/India etc have a bit of a reputation....

Mick
Well done.
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve heard bikes from Sri Lanka/India etc have a bit of a reputation....
It came with a 3-speed gear box for one thing... :grinning:

(and my god how it bothers me that I lost a "t" in the subject line)

/s

The ability to restore from a box of junk is a a powerful force. Well done! Could you explain more about the electrolytic process you used?

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Wade Edwards
The ability to restore from a box of junk is a a powerful force. Well done! Could you explain more about the electrolytic process you used?
1. Thank you!
2. I just followed these instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-From-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/ I found that it worked best if I removed the sacrificial anode every hour and polished all the rust off from it.

/s

yes Simon nice bike
we hop good luck to u & enjoy

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

The engine sounds sweet...Years of happy motoring ahead I should think...:sunrise_over_mountains: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you Hussein!

And good to hear you think so Ian! Would have been kind of a drag if you with all your expertise heard that the engine sounded not so good... :upside_down_face:

/s

Thank you for the link, Simon. I will print it and save it in files.

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: It's alive (and as it appears doing well)

Oh, actually forgot that I posted some pictures during the early stages of the build, kinda lost track of doing that later on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/albums/72157631976176428

/simon

Re: It's alive (and as it appears doing well)

Very nice pictures.
It seems you have a very early rear frame. With only one sidecar lug on the left side.

A lot of work to rebuild the bike, but it will repay.

Nieuwe pagina 1