Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 oil feed quill in timing side - is it just a press fit or should it be glued in place?

Hello Gentlemen / Ladies

I recently found out that the long thin tip of the oil feed quill in the timing side case was broken off. I had a lot of trouble getting the broken part out of the hollow crank spindle - but succeded eventually when using a knitting needle with a small hook.

When I looked at the remaining part of the oil feed quill that still was placed in the timing side case, - it seemed that someone had used a kind of glue when it was fitted.

Now Im a bit uncertain if the new oil feed quill should just be a press fit in the timing side case - or whether it should be glued in place?
I suppose it was just a press fit originally? What would be the benefit of using glue to secure it? Im afraid that too much glue might enter the very small oil holes and partly blocking them off.
Does anyone have an opinion on this subject? Best Regards Paul Moeller

email (option): wind_moeller@mail.dk

Re: BSA M20 oil feed quill in timing side - is it just a press fit or should it be glued in place?

I think the easiest way to fit the quill is to heat the timing cover in the oven while she's at the shops! (too hot to touch without gloves) and drop the quill in which should be trapped when it cools. If however you try it first and it falls in too easily, then some "Loctite" bush and bearing fit should cure the problem, and it's not like any glue that's going to bung up the oil ways. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: BSA M20 oil feed quill in timing side - is it just a press fit or should it be glued in place?

If Loctite is used apply it to the quill, not the hole, so that when the quill is inserted any surplus will be forced outwards not inwards...
I use a tubular sleeve to swage the aluminium over after the quill is fitted..This holds it firmly in place and means Loctite is not needed...

Either method will work fine but note the above if Loctite is used. The big end and more particularly, the cam spindles, are lubricated via the quill housing and the small drillings for the spindles could be blocked by surplus Loctite...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I use a tubular sleeve to swage the aluminium over after the quill is fitted..This holds it firmly in place and means Loctite is not needed...
...Ian

Could you expand on this? Sounds very interesting indeed!
Any pictures?

/simon

Nieuwe pagina 1