Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo gear tool

I am about to install a new speedo gear sprocket on a W/NG. To spin on or off the hub it really should have a dedicated tool that grips several evenly spaced teeth. I have thought about water jet cutting an outside ring to match the teeth and then tacking it to a large socket. Anyone else solved this problem with a tool made up in the back shed?

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: Speedo gear tool

Hello Wade.Have you tried a strap wrench,mostly used on screw on oil filters.They are adjustable down to small sizes and they work on speedo bezels as well.Regards,Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

No, I hadn’t thought about using a strap, Sam. Could be worth a try. Thank you.

I used a couple of pieces of soft copper in the jaws of the smallest vice. I don't know what I'd have done if it had been truly stuck though. The Norton is easier as the drum is separate.

Some of these gears have left hand thread! (Depending on which side of the hub they are fitted). Could be worth checking!!!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Good point, Jan. I bought a Norton drum which turned out to be from a '46 model with right hand brake. The previous owner had hammered seven shades of shit out of it trying to undo the gear. It only took the slightest tap once I'd looked and seen the arrow !

Right side drums have a left hand thread gear. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the rule of thumb, Ron. Don't you hate guessing, then going ahead and discovering you should have turned left instead of right. Can't always trust instincts.

While we are talking speedo gears- I have one, NOS gear that is straight cut (no champher on one side) and a little narrower than the others I have. I know the champhered ones are correct but not sure about the narrower, unchamphered one. The correct, original is 5/16 wide and the unchamphered one is 1/4 wide. Sometimes buying on eBay has it's consequences.
This narrower one is likely for a completely different hub.

Nieuwe pagina 1