Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear control rod ?

Hi all

I fitted new clutch friction plates over the winter on my M20. I have set it up exactly as per the instructions in the technical section.

1st and 2nd engage flawlessly with no drag or slip but 3rd and 4th wont engage at all for 99% of the time i was testing (on the move or in the workshop).

Once or twice over the weekend it felt like the box went straight from 2nd to 4th in the workshop but i couldnt replicate on the road.

I did have a couple of instances last year of the bike getting stuck in third.

Assuming the clutch is OK as 1st and 2nd are fine should i start to look at the gear control rod? or are the chances that there is something worn out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Gear control rod ?

G'day Ant,

I suspect that there are other problems within the box as you have good selection in first and second.
Lengthening the control rod will move the selector forks towards first and third gears thus improving their engagement, shortening the rod moves the forks towards second and forth. As you can see improving selection in one gear may affect the others however it is worth trying the control rod first just take note of where you started.

And only adjust about 1/2 a turn at a time...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I had problems with my gearbox when I first got it.

Apart from replacing a bearing, my problems arose from worn pawls (15-4141 and 15-4142) and a worn ratchet lever (15-4206).

I don't know if wear in that area would cause your specific problems, but worth having a look in that area for obvious signs of wear.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Thanks for the feedback gents

Ant

So i think i finally solved my gearbox problem, the lower pawl spring was snapped at one end !

I guess that could be the cause :grinning:

I guess any thing can break but hs anyone ever had this issue ?

Cheers

Ant

The smaller of the two springs can break occasionally...However, it's not a common occurrence. I've broken one in about 40 years and literally hundreds of thousands of miles...

I also know others who have suffered the problem only once in many miles/years...I generally carry one in my spares kit if I am touring 'just in case'...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Chaps, on my bike 1st 2nd & 3rd are pretty OK to engage fourth can be hit and miss, especially if your trying to keep momentum going uphill, so if I'm reading this right if I shorten the the rod a little that may improve access to fourth?

Thanks Ian

Is there a knack to getting the spring back on - i cant seem to manage it without bending the loop :smiley:

Cheers

Ant

Nieuwe pagina 1