Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girder Fork - #66-5146

Hi all :) Part of my collection of bits obtained on the weekend is a Girder that some bright spark found it necessary to lengthen by 13.5".
Has part #66-5146 on it, but am wondering if it is correct for my '42 WM20, as it does not seem to have the little front fender support mushroom under the spring.

I can't seem to find that part number in any parts manuals I have obtained, and Mr Google hasn't helped so far.
Any info greatly appreciated.

photo 20180326_154401 Large_zpsuwv1rdhu.jpg

photo 20180326_154341 Large_zpsads99ody.jpg

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Re: Girder Fork - #66-5146

photo 20180326_154435 Large_zpseq19y5mc.jpg

Marty,

The numbers on the forgings/castings aren't what appear in the parts manual. - I don't know if there is a definite logic to it all but that lower fork yoke that has 66-5146 on it is in the parts book as 66-5144.
That is (was) an WM20 fork by the look of it - the remains of the mudguard mount can be seen just behind the nut in one of your photos.

I just checked a set of fork blades and the three pieces that are brazed together to form the main cross piece that hold the 4 side tubes, the fork spring and the mudguard mount) all have numbers if you look carefully . The L/H side is 66-5058, the centre piece has 66-5016 (but might be missing part of the number with that section cut off) and the R/H side has 66-5056.

This is one of the numbers shown and you can see where the mudguard mount remains are on yours.
What part of the country are you in - I'm in Melbourne?

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

They are casting numbers, for the casting. The assembly is another number, usually 1 digit different

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Thanks guys.
This poor old Girder's had a rough life. Do you guys think it's worth trying to bring it back from the dead?
Is the lower sectiions made of solid bar or tube? If it's solid, I'm not sure I'd trust cutting them back down and butt welding them back together, and considering that the head light support ears have been drilled out for, what I'm guessing is to, ummm... 'lighten them up for racing', and the fender support mushroom is broken off.... I'm wondering if this poor girder is done for or not.

I'm on the gold coast. Unfortunately, for me, it seems everyone with old bikes and knowledge is in Victoria or WA, or Overseas!

Hi Marty
The fork tubes are, tubes, positioned by the lugs, which if the worst came to the worst could be saved. Best wishes with the project from the Adelaide Hills.
Motorcycles have weird things done to them over the years.

G'day Marty,

I would be forever worried about using those forks if the extensions were cut out and the tubes re-welded. The fork blades can be re-tubed and the guard mount rebuilt but it might be difficult finding someone on the Gold Coast or even in Brisbane able or willing to do it, it will be expensive but good fork blades don't come up for sale often and when they do they are expensive also, it's a tough call. One positive is that it looks like you have all of the ancillary fork parts. If you find a set of blades for $1000 or less jump on them and don't let go.

Ray,
Where abouts in sunny Melb are you and are you going to Broadford this weedend?

Hi Marty,
Not familiar with what's available engineering wise over there but to give you a yard stick I was quotes £630 to re-tube a girder less than 5 months ago here in the UK.
In the end I found a nos one for just over £400 so didn't go for it.
You might be better selling them to one of these guys for the forgings and doing the same instead tbh!

Scott

email (option): LarkesrATgmail.com

Hi Bob, Thanks for the wishes :)
Matt, Thanks for the info. Think I will be on the hunt for another set of blades. I'd feel better if I knew they were strong and original.
And Scott, Thanks to you also. Yes I figured what with the amount of labour involved with re-tubing, may well be cost prohibitive to do so. I'll hang on to my forks for now, but will hunt down another set of blades.

Many other things to look for also, but will start with sorting out the chassis blast it and prime it and go from there.
In the mean time I'll be looking for someone in QLD to re-bush the forks.
Cheers.

Nieuwe pagina 1