Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil tank with a hole in it?

Hi all, well, it was a big weekend, I flew to the opporsite end of the country (Australia) and then drove home 1100 miles with my new project box of bits! :) So exciting.
Anyway, the Frame is '42 WM20, so I'm going to do my best to build it as such.
The oil tank that is in the box of bits, seems to be in very good condition, however, has a hole through it nearly 1" diameter. I'm guessing this is not correct for a '42 WM20, so what is it off, and, can i just cut the pipe out, and weld up the tank ? or is it best to try and find the correct one?

The first of many questions... can't wait to get going with this project. :)
cheers.

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Re: Oil tank with a hole in it?

That hole is for the speedo cable of the early post war BSA's. The tank is pretty similar to the WM20 tank but it's slightly bigger to compensate for the hole that goes through it to end up with the same oil capacity. If you weld up the hole I don't think many will notice that it's not the correct tank. It might take a little longer to warm up the extra oil you have in it when you remove the tube.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yep suits the bikes that have the speedo drive in the gear box.

email (option): meck04@bigpond.com

Marty,
The WM oil tanks turn up here in Australia fairly often, I'd just use the one you have as is until the correct one comes along.

Thank you all :)
I'll use what I have till I find the correct one. :) (or cut the hole out).

There is no need to remove the tube. It would only cause a lot of damage.
You can just close the top end. Then no one will notice.

Marty,

Are you still looking for a WM oil tank?

There's one on gumtree at the moment.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/orange/motorcycle-scooter-parts/bsa-m20-m21-oil-tank-orginal-not-repo/1181292917

Thanks Matty.
I bought it last week and it arrived friday! ahhahaa.
Interestingly, it's in very good condition inside and out. However, whilst cleaning it this afternoon, I couldn't seem to blow air up the return ! I poked a wire in the threaded hole, and it stopped about 1.5" in. And poked a wire down the top of the return 'bubbler' pipe, and it stopped too!
Unless I'm daft, this should be clear yes?

Hi Marty, I just cleared a block oilpipe with a piece of inner bowden kabel fitted in a cordless drill, worked great! Good luck! Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Cheers Michiel, I just cleared the pipe with a cable inner as per your advice! Was the only way I could unblock it. :)

Nieuwe pagina 1