Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pls recommend me an air filter for the AMAL 276

I am searching for an air filter to be mounted on the 276 mouths, it's ca. 31 mm outer diameter. All the "K&N types", which are triangle and have the shape of a pyramid, are touching the float chamber which is not in the position to move after installing the alternator.
So I will need a simple round and flat filter that will fit the 31 mm.
Any suggestions? On eBay the flat types are mentioned to go on Harley's, and that is making them too pricey. Thanks.

Re: Pls recommend me an air filter for the AMAL 276

Simple Michael! As fitted to some WD Royal Enfields and Norton 16H's.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/Air-Intake-Assembly-with-Gauze

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. Correct me pls if I'm wrong here, but I think this one will be fine to stop back spitting from the carby, preventing fire catching (leading to fried balls and so on), but is unknown to me regarding its filtering abilities. Dusty summer is starting over here, and I would like to protect Mr. motor's air intake. It is also beyond my finance at the moment. Thanks anyway!

Yes they are more correctly known as a flame trap/retarder. But do have limiting filter abilities. Usually with 2 or 3 layers of gauze. Ron

Hi Michael and Ron,

The one that I got from Hitchcocks the other month, it had 3 layers of gauze.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dear Ron if you fit one of these filters, do you need to change any of the carburettor settings. At present on my M20 I just have the carburettor with an open mouth. all best with thanks. peter

You should be able to get an adapter that screws into the end of the carb.
You clamp a firebird or spitfire pill box end plate the the adapetor then assemble the rest of the filter to it.
You will not be able to fit the air filter to the carb assembled.
Lightly sand the chrome, or dip in sulphuric acid ( battery acid ) to etch it then paint it the same green as your bike.
Do the same to the outer end plate and no one will notice it.

A fire in the air filter can usually be extinguished by turning off the fuel and quickly kicking the engine over a few times .
You can then use a std paper or foam element or buy a length of stainless steel gauze about 8" wide.
Fold the sides in to the middle to make it 4" then in 1/2 to make it 2" wide.
Now fashion this into a s spiral to fit inside the air filter at least 3 to 4 turns( more is better ).
This makes an excellent filter for all but the finnest dust and if you are to dip it in old sump oil it pulls out most of that too.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

peter beresford
Dear Ron if you fit one of these filters, do you need to change any of the carburettor settings. At present on my M20 I just have the carburettor with an open mouth. all best with thanks. peter
Peter the filter restriction is very minimal. Your carb should be fine on the standard settings. Ron

peter beresford
The filter Ron suggested to me has just arrived from Hitchcock's , fits perfect

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

I put one of these filters onto my B31 carb and it played havoc with anything above 1/2 throttle openings. A severe drop in power. I couldn't be arsed to mess about with playing with the jetting and took it off again.
I think you have to just try it and see if you need to make any changes or not.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Many thanks for your helpful reply all best peter

Many thanks for your helpful reply Ron all best peter

Nieuwe pagina 1