Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Side car physic question

We had an argument the other day: While driving an outfit (and here in Israel they are mounted on the right side), in order to lift the sidecar’s wheel in the air, should the driver turn into the circle, i.e. right, or should he turn outside – to the left?
Food for thought.

Re: Side car physic question

Here in the UK our sidecars are on the left of course. When I used to drive this, it was very easy to lift the light sidecar when turning left.
Ron.
16H_044

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Whichever side the sidecar is on, sharp turns away from the sidecar will lift it and sharp turns towards it can lift the rear wheel. I once did a sharp u-turn at around 55mph and lifted the rear wheel of my M21 and ground the nose of the sidecar through the turn.... not recommended but it was an emergency....:astonished:

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

I disagree! Turn towards the sidecar will lift it (turning left), turn away can dig the nose in and lift the rear wheel of the bike. Ron

If you had a left hand fitted sidecar and you did a U turn normally you would turn to the right, at least in the UK you would. In doing so the sidecar would try to dig into the road and the rear wheel would lift. Have done this many times in the past.He did say turning away from the sidecar.

Yep I would agree with that. Always better if you have a passenger of course.....I've also done it quite a bit too.

I think it's Ewok's first sentence that is arse about face.:blush: Ron

Quote""Whichever side the sidecar is on, sharp turns away from the sidecar will lift it and sharp turns towards it can lift the rear wheel""

You are right the sentences are back to front.

On the subject of "back to front"

I have no experience of sidecars although I am in the process (a long one) of attaching one to my M21 so I’m grateful for any information from those experienced in this dark craft.

I’ve been wondering what happens when the sidecar wheel is in the air. Does the outfit then act like a solo with counter steering? That is, turning the handlebars to the right results in going left? If so then keeping the bars turned in the same direction that caused the chair to lift should also result in dropping it again as the direction of turn would change in the “solo” condition. Or am I talking cobblers as usual?

It would be nice to know though, and may help my underwear situation when I do get the outfit on the road and start experimenting.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

I don't think a sidecar wheel in the air can be considered "riding a solo" The moment you steer away, the wheel will drop, if you steer into it, you are liable to tip over. With experience and use of the throttle and handlebar position you can become a stunt driver like Lex here:blush: Ron

Normandie_2009_158_Copy

You are correct, It's a long time since I rode a combo and I was misremembering (or getting senile, whichever is the soonest).....:confused:

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Hi Michel.

In Israel- turn right to lift the sidecar...

The centrifugal force will take you to the left,
And then you can balance and carry on to wherever you want.

Noam.

Hello,

David Elimelech who reads hear a lot but usually does not write,
Asked me to post the following photos for him.
The photos appears to be from about 30 years ago. the Volvo bus is licenced 1988. :smile:

Cheers,
Noam.

Nice, once you get used to it, it's easy, but the B4 sidecar is a bit heavy, even with a light girl in it!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

But then Lex can be even sillier by riding in the sidecar without a driver. :scream: Ron
4598521296_37ef23cbd6

And Louise can flash her stocking tops:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gwood1
free img

Which ever side your sidecar is mounted, when turning towards the sidecar the bike has to travel further (on a larger turning radius) than the sidecar...So, to avoid the sidecar lifting when entering corners in that direction always leave some power in reserve so you can gently accelerate 'around the outside' of the sidecar....Riding an outfit can be an alarming experience at first but you only have to think about it and persevere...Once the technique is acquired they are great fun...(especially the stocking tops)...
However, forget anything you know about riding solo bikes, they are entirely different....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nice to see these old posts again!

Sidecarring (is that even a word?) is big fun! but on the road it takes many miles to master it, especially when in an emergency, the proper reaction could mean life over death.

Here in the Ardennes.

Ireland.

Ireland

Oosterbeek

Dunkirk

Normandy

Offroading with an SWD outfit requires some more skills.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.com

I was riding in Worcester and Shropshire with Dave Waters on his Big 4 outfit last weekend. His gammy left leg has been completely pinned solid and straight now. Even with his wife Beryl in the chair, he is fun to keep up with, whether on the open road or city traffic. He has of course altered the gearing from standard. His modified rear brake pedal is something Heath Robinson would be proud of:smiley: Ron

Yes, seen Dave's conversion!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.com

Nieuwe pagina 1