Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Silent Exhaust

Hello all.
I do remember there was a thread about this issue in the past, can’t find it though.
I have a complete replica stainless exhaust system on my rigid M20, bought from Armours in the UK 10-15 years ago.
After the ride yesterday I understood that I am avoiding riding her because of this horrible noise.
I came to the conclusion that this can not continue and it must be improved. I decided that I will cut it open and arrange the internal according to the original “much-more-quieter” exhaust.
I will be happy to get pictures of the inner section, drawings or any other info that might help me.
Thanks a lot in advance!

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

Re: Silent Exhaust

Hi,
do you really need to cut it open ?
Can't you make a silencer en push it in from behind and tighten it with a clamp ore something ?
For instance a steel tube, closed at the front and filled with steel whool en holes in the side ?

Michael I bought one of those stainless silencers from Armour's some years ago and it was embarrassingly noisy. I took it back about a year later (I do know them well and they're only about 3 miles from my home) They simply cut the cap off one end and stuffed around the baffle with
stainless wire wool. What a pleasure!

They've since made some stainless WM20 tipped up silencers copied from an original that I have. These have the baffles as per the original and
I would say it sounds about the same (maybe slightly louder) than the wire wool silencer. It's been pointed out that stainless will always sound different to mild steel. Ron
M20_539

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Of course. Anything will do. I just need those cross section internal pictures to decide wich way to go :sunglasses:

I sent you email pictures. Ron

Ron Pier
I sent you email pictures. Ron
Why not on the forum? Perhaps there are others with the same problem!

Hans it was already covered a few months back and I posted the pictures then.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1387978&cmd=show

And then followed up a couple of weeks later with this

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1389493&cmd=show

Ron

Thanks Ron, my memory isn't anymore it never was, and never will be again...:joy:

Easiest way to make the exhaust quieter is to get some exhaust tube that is a tight push fit inside the exhaust pipe
It need to be about 6" or better up the pipe.
Weld a washer to the end of the tube.
Mark 3 spiral lines that do one full turn of the pipe over around 8" to 10"
Drill holes along these lines starting at 1/8" diameter nearest the washer and ending up about 1/2" diameter.
Make the baffle then jamb it up the pipe & weld it to stop it blowing out.
Slip the empty muffler over the top and clamp in the usual place.
The baffle will make almost no difference to the performance of the bike but will smooth out the rough sharp bark to a soft fart.

Most of the pre war bikes had this type of exhaust fitted.
The baffle was part of the exhaust pipe and the muffler was nothing more than an empty chamber with an outlet tube,

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1