Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 spring BSA clutch in a WM20?

Hi all,

Just wondering if a 6 Spring clutch fits a WM20 gearbox?
Thinking a single spring clutch might be a bit hard to find in good condition...

Picking up my project next weekend! YAY! The fun begins!

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Re: 6 spring BSA clutch in a WM20?

I've just received a spare clutch from Les at Russell Motors he has all the plates and associated bits, a few clutch chainwheels left (66-3809) which he had made (not Indian) :slightly_smiling_face: he has no stock left of the single spring but is having some more made from the NOS one he had left, doesn't have any clutch sliding plates or clutch centres .Cornucopia in Germany has some NOS clutch centres .

Only reason I'm upto date on this one is I've been scouring the net to get a spare one keep on the shelf , that's my total knowledge on the WM20 :laughing:

Or there is this one on Evil Bay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-CLUTCH-UNIT-SINGLE-SPRING-EMPIRE-STAR-M20-/123014761973
Hope its of some help

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

If you want a serious good clutch in your bike look at the website www.thb-support.nl.
I believe there is a link on this website somewhere.

Regards, Ramon😎😎

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Or you can fit a readily available Triumph clutch with the appropriate adapter...Personally I only consider the BSA 6 spring clutch suitable for landfill...and I like BSAs..:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Marty,

The 6 spring was used post war in the M, B and A series I think,
but forget it, the're rubbish, made from pressed sheet steel and they flex, you will get drag and slip at the same time. I could never get the plates to separate properly so ended up with a four spring Triumph clutch from the '50, it's what BSA fitted when they bought out Triumph. all you need to make it fit is the adapter.

Or what Ian said.

As the others have said, a 6 spring clutch can be made to fit an M20.
Just beware that the A7/10 unit is wider and sits further out from the gearbox so you have to add a longer spacer behind the primary sprocket .
I have run two 6 spring clutches on mine , because I had them there doing nothing and my single spring had teeth like a wobby gong shark.
As the others have said they are a right royal PIA to set up properly.
Once done properly they work beautifully but do have a lot of short comings and the chances of you fluking a good one are quite remote.
Most of what you find for sale are bad ones which is why they were taken off in the first place.

By far the best idea is to fit the 4 spring Triumph clutch .
Again you will have to adjust the spacer behind the primary to get the chain running true.
FWIW BSA never changed the taper on the gearbox main shaft so almost any clutch can be made to fit apart from the late ball ramp type.
My B2 has a cut down M20 clutch fitted

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I must have been lucky. I have the 6 spring clutch on two of my BSAs with no problems. I do agree that they need some care taken with setting them up though. Having said that the 4 spring Triumph style is an easier one to use.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the adaptor to fit a triumph clutch
Thanks Ian

I got one from Kiddiminster motorcycles a while back.

Kidderminster Motorcycles

60-62 Blackwell Street

Kdderminsster Worcs DY102EE

01562 66679 - 825826

kmc4bsa@hotmail.com

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1