Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to paint on c number???

Hi all, well bike going well, oil lines now found and extremely close to first kick!,
In the mean time am going to paint on my c number on tank which is C5210946
Can any one tell me how was this number applied, was it stencilled and stipple brunch or just one stroke hand painted?
Many thanks from rainy reigate

email (option): Simonsuzanne@hotmail.co.uk

Re: How to paint on c number???

Hi Simon. The numbers were originally painted by sign writers. Info here http://www.wdbsa.nl/BSA%20Tank%20Numbers.htm
But you can get stencils here and I can provide tips if you need them http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron that’s really helpful, so originally there were just hand painted without a stencil?
What a lost art!
Many rhanks

email (option): Simonsuzanne@hotmail.co.uk

Great question... thanks for asking and thank you Ron for the link.

There are sign writers about , look up fairground, AKA showman on face book, there's one called (coach painting and lining )there is someone not far from reigate who still teaches the art, carters steam fairs down guildford way, but wartime there was a bit of a rush on , and perfection was not adhered to, so Rons suggestion might be the best way to go,

email (option): warbikes at gee male dot com, think about this folks

Thanks Andrew, think I’m gong to use the stencil for outline only then fill in with a brush like originally done in the 40,s

The advantage with a low-tack vinyl stencil is that it can be applied with centres etc. intact and therefore avoids the 'broken' stencil look - It's worth bearing in mind that most contracts or periods had a typical number form and location - these were not randomly applied and clearly followed directives.

It is definitely worth looking at as many original photos as possible from your contract and discussing them with the stencil supplier to make sure number forms are correct.

Although there will always be a slight edge with stencils, if you're fairly bold and follow the form as a signwriter would have done, the effect is not too bad from two or three feet away.

For what it's worth I used chalk to mark out, line up and size the individual digits and then painted them in. I fixed the position of the 'BSA' decals in the same way, doing both operations together to get the whole thing about right.

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Nieuwe pagina 1