Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA / ARIEL SPANNERS.

I'd like to get a few original spanners for roadside toolkits,and have noticed one or two examples have slightly splayed jaws. Does anybody know what type of metal spec was used in the manufacuture of these spanners?
Can they be recovered by heating up, closing the jaws and heat treating ?
Thanks in advance for any gen. Pete.

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

Re: BSA / ARIEL SPANNERS.

Flat ( pressed ) spannars can not be repaired
The 4 way spannar is a forging and can be reworked.

Personally my roadisde tool kit only has 2 original items.
The magneto spanner & the hub adjusting spanner.
All of the rest are modern tools which do the job a lot better.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Here Here on that! I personally can't be bothered with those old fashioned clunky tools and much prefer modern tools, apart from the odd special tool like the BSA hex spanner for the primary case inspection plug and the slim spanner for wheel bearing adjusting. Ron:+1:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The only original tool I have in my kit is the rear hub bolt spanner/socket...I ground down a modern spanner for the bearing adj. spanner...Ian:wrench:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I carry a full original set on the 16H. I don't plan on doing roadside maintenance and they are up to most jobs that I'd be prepared to do outside of the workshop.

It's all part of the period experience that I enjoy. Perhaps I'm too far down the living history route ?

Rik
I carry a full original set on the 16H. I don't plan on doing roadside maintenance and they are up to most jobs that I'd be prepared to do outside of the workshop.

It's all part of the period experience that I enjoy. Perhaps I'm too far down the living history route ?
Rik,
It is horses for courses.
You never know when you are going to have a flat tyre, get some bad fuel blow a globe and all those other little niggles that happen when you ride.
Now in the UK or EU where you are only ever 10 minutes from help but down here some of our rides would have us crossed 5 countries in Europe and more than once the only availbal fuel stops are further apart than a tank.
Then there are the "fun roads " where you can ride for 4 hours and not see another vehicle.
And of course since the phone system went commercial you can get a mobile phone line form 55 different carriers on the highway, two when you get 500 yards off the highway and once you are a mile away it is sat phone or lots of pushing.
Thus the tool kit has to be good enough to get you to civilazation or at least to where more people live.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Rik
I carry a full original set on the 16H. I don\'t plan on doing roadside maintenance and they are up to most jobs that I\'d be prepared to do outside of the workshop.

It\'s all part of the period experience that I enjoy. Perhaps I\'m too far down the living history route ?
Sure sign of an extreme rivet counter I'd say Rik! :joy:

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

Thanks for your views on the matter folks. Just playing "devils advocate" here but, we restore the machines themselves, we wear (in a fair percentage of cases) period clothing, the machines are adorned with the a lot of period fittings and accessories. Isn't the toolkit an extension of of the machine in it's own right ? (No pun intended).I realise some of the original tools were/are a bit basic, but they were of they're time as was the chugging old sidevalve bike itself.

Pete I've got an original pair of old tyres here somewhere. They're exactly as they should be, completely rock hard and square. You are welcome to them to add to your quest of "Living the dream" Ron:laughing:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I collect wartime tools, but I don't carry many on my M20 after I snapped a nice original wartime dated pair of pliers trying to close a copper bifurcated rivet, metal seems to have a best before date which is a bit of a worry.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Cheers Ron. I think your back must be feeling better. Anyway if you have the tubes to go with the tyres, I'll take you up on your offer. "BUT", only if they've still got WW2 air in them!!!
😀😁😂😂😂😂

Nieuwe pagina 1