Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More Big Four.

I was planning on posting photos but as I`ve done nothing with the bike yet Horror has saved me the job as it still looks just the same as in his pics, also I am a pooter Luddite and can`t do anything more than slowly prod at the keys one finger stylee. My wife is an IT wizz and she says we need to set up something to do photos so hopefuly this will happen soon.
One thing I have done is have a quick look inside the engine and this revealed a new piston, bored barrel and new valves and the correct Riccardo type head. The frame forks and tanks have also been blasted at some time and given a thin coat of primer and what I guess is cellulose black so I can just rub this down prior to proper painting. I have also stripped the mag to try get a spark, no luck here but someone had already been in there, there was a crude card gasket where the brass shims should be, there was a code no. visible on here and Mr. Google informed me that it had been packaging from a range of outdoor clothing from 1982 so this must have been when the work was done. I`ve had the mag done and it`s now doing duty on my Es2 which had a duff mag.
What is O&M, I`m not in on the military scene, just like old bikes, Nortons especially so am not aware of this
Most interesting to see the B4 in German use, I suppose once equipment has "changed sides" it gets treated with little respect but I still wonder if any SWD bikes were used solo by the allies.
John, I dont know the name of the collector, I think he is in the Retford area and has AVs including a Sherman as well as softskins and motorcycles and bicycles. Where in S.Yorks are you, I`m only just up the A1 east of Leeds so not far from you, do you ever get to Squires at Sherburn, its only 10 mins from me, maybe we could meet up, I will not be on the B4 for a while though, only got scruffy Es2 or Ducati GT going at the mo.

ATB
Tony

Re: More Big Four.

Hi Tony,

Keep up the good work and also your efforts in informing us about your progress.
O&M stands for Chris Orchard and Steve Madden, writers of the 'bible' for us enthusiasts...

https://www.amazon.com/British-Forces-Motorcycles-1925-1945-Orchard/dp/0750970235

Good luck!

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Tony, I'm guessing the collectors you're referring to up North will be Mark Gillat and his departed father Joe. I've dealt with Mark a few times over the years, including parts made for the Big 4's, and visited their sheds on one occasion, just after his Dad died. They've amassed quite a collection. 3 or 4 Big 4's and 4 or 5 Welbikes if memory serves. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, Thanks, yes you are right you`ve jogged my memory and that is the name, If I ever come by a sidecar frame Icould pay them a visit to copy the body.
Sven, Thanks for that information, I`ll have to have a copy.

Tony

Tony you could buy a signed copy from Chris Orchard himself. I don't think you need bid you could just 'contact' him. I'm sure he has a pile of them. Mention my name if you want. Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Forces-Motorcycles-1925-45-hardback-book-v-3-signed-by-Chris-Orchard/332564539083?hash=item4d6e6426cb:g:KZQAAOSwR2RaIyO0

Hi Tony
I live in a small village just to the south of Rotherham about 20 mins away from Retford, I'm sure I've met Mark Gillat before at Newark jumble bought some WM20 parts off him must be the same guy, Don't really venture up to squires much but i will talk to my vmcc mates and try to organise a ride up in the summer, You can't miss me either i'll be riding a very scruffy B31 or a very rusty M20,
Regards John,

email (option): rustytomm20@hotmail.com

Hi Tony,

I have a mate that must live near you. He lives in Monk Fryston, he's a bit of a biker too. Not sure what he's running at the minute, names
Jez Robinson.
I live in Keighley, not too far away.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

And you know me as well Tony, look forward for a spin on it when it's done.

Tim W:grinning:

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Tony,

Mark Gillett borrowed my original sidecar body to copyfor his projects. Nice chap but if you take measurements from him you will be making a copy of a copy. Happy to allow you to photograph and take measurements from mine.

I have a Norton sidecar chassis for sale but it is not from a big 4. I guess it could be altered to B4 spec by someone who has the skill. What do you think, Ron?

JT

As far as I can remember John. The prewar civy chassis and the B4 are pretty much the same. Apart from the area that holds the sidecar wheel and it's bigger bearings on the SWD model. Everything is possible of course.

My sidecar body is also original but we had to rebuild the front which was badly rotted. I do also have drawings. Ron

Tony, did you buy the Big 4 of M. Kemp? I did see this at Stanford Hall 5-6? years back I think, took these pictures, no sidecar.

Have more pictures of solo B4's in German service, but not Brit used.

Have more pictures if you need them.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

The last 2 pictures are the same as the ones I posted, so yes that's the bike 🙂
One problem I've thought of with a solo B4 is there's not stand. Is there a position for a rear stand on a B4 frame?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I dunno! You Gloucester Bunnies want everything found for you. You can clearly see from the first picture, you simply have to carry two suitable lengths of 4x2 and 3x3 to prop under the kick start. Tut! Ron

Ah ok, it's a Norton optional extra :grinning:

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

All WD Big 4s were supplied with a Shelley screw jack ! :-)

That was carried in the sidecar!!!

Cheers,

Lex

ps, aren't they nice??

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Regarding solo use of Big 4 .This is one for the experts.Look on youtube under British Pathe,Goch Grabbed 1945.At 0.50 in there is what looks like a Big 4 solo passing behind a Churchill tank.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

I've freeze framed it but don't know how to capture the image. But it looks like a Canadian (sitting on the tank like they did) on a 16H with panniers, bed roll and rear stand.

https://youtu.be/THQJA8QWeyk?t=45

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1