Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More on Newark Big Four.

Thanks John, Ron, Horror,[Horror?] and Rik for your replys. Just to clear up any confusion the B4 at Newark last year is the one I now own. I`d been to see it a couple of times at the owners place but each time the price went up. I had always fancied a Big four so ended buying it early last year for a bit less than the Newark asking price. Probably still too much, but I have only seen one for sale before, the one Ron mentioned being at Founders Day a few years ago. I was too late for that, it had already been sold for £1000, and was more complete and in better condition than the Newark one. I think Ron Farthing had brought it back from Egypt or Lybia, dont know who got it, could be the chap from south Yorks who I think has about four. Anyway Iam very happy to have mine, apart from the missing sidecar, needing a full mechanical overhaul, wheels rebuilding, tank repairing, new exhaust pipe and silencer, new cables, tyres, wiring, painting, finding the missing parts and getting it registered there really isn`t much to do. The lad I bought it from said the previous owner had mentioned a sidecar being fitted, but that he could not remember what had happened to it, also that it had been registered but he could not find the log book, pretty careless huh?
Ron, we did did discuss the swd. parts at Netley, if you man is about to give up I should have the parts while the chance is there,even though I dont yet have the side car and may not even fit one. Is there any evidence of B4s being used without the chair, perhaps after battle or mechanical damage, I suppose this is possible. I`ll email you re parts.
Horror, yes we also spoke at Netley, I seem to remember that you had five or six Nortons of different sorts, and I was most impressed when you checked the B4s numbers on your phone, too complicated for me I`m afraid!
The frame no. issue is interesting, the nine does not look to have been added later, why would it have been? I will have to look into how I am going to go about registering the bike but am not unduly concerned.

Tony

Re: More on Newark Big Four.

There seems to be something odd about the frame number, it's the one digit too long for the numbers listed. I think you will have problems getting a dating letter as it is, you might be better off losing the 9. But as the NOC WD dating bloke is reading this you're going to have problems :thinking_face:
As far as I am aware the B4s with that type frame were sidecar only. A solo B4 would have a frame like a 16H.

Good luck with the restoration, I'd like to see picture of your progress. :+1:

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes pictures please. If you look through the notes in the latest O&M there were quite a few with box bodies fitted. Of course you still need the chassis and SWD. Although I think I noticed that a few didn't have SWD. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I had never seen a picture of a WW2 Big4 used solo until just the other day when Steve S posted one in use by the Germans in a tread entitled "new website photo".

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1395402&cmd=show

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Oh yes, I hadn't seen that. It didn't leave the factory like that, the German's were going to use it any way they liked.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Tony,
You lucky bugger' I live in south yorks I will have to investigate the big four owner/collector, may be a very interesting man to talk to, any leads btb, By the way today had a ride out on my M20 lovely sunny day but cold called in at my local for a pint was approached by two millennialist who claimed to be WW2 Re enactors? Asked me if my bike was British or American? WTF! I'm only 46 and sometimes I despair!
Regards John.

email (option): rustytomm20@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1