Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear wheel brake drum to wheel bolts 33-5530 needed

Dear All

I need 3 new rear wheel brake drum to wheel bolts #33-5530 and was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase some from. I have tried Dragonfly but no stock till later I n the year.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: Rear wheel brake drum to wheel bolts 33-5530 needed

Bought mine from Les at Russell Motors, London.

He has a website, but call him Tuesdays or later.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I'm sure Les will have them. But ignore his website which was set up by Geoff his departed brother. You can only phone/fax/write to Les. The earlier wheels had flat holes and bolts to suit which were more prone to come undone than the later type with cone shaped holes and bolts. I always use Loctite on mine. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Can't remember the threads size, but years ago when I restored my bike, I can remember that it was a pain in the ass to undone those bolts, so I welded nuts to them and got them loose. I took some 10.9 strong Allen bolts and machined them to size (keeping them cooled while running the lathe) including those cone shapes. And of course, as Ron mentioned - loctite. I use to smear grease inside the Allen head, so when time comes to unscrew, there's no dirt buildup inside and the Allen key will have a snug tight hold.
I took the wheel off twice since, with no trouble at all.

Never had problems with those bolts, just have the appropriate pipe wrench, Stuart I should have them, rather I'm sure I have to check how many I have because I always spare for me, I do not know if it is convenient to send them, you're very far, I could inform myself. I did not care if they are conical or flat, but remember that they also have a split washer to keep it from loosening.

email (option): marcoleo1967@gmail.com

I bought some recently from Mikes Classics in Brisbane. Countersunk type. Think they were genuine.

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

This makes me wonder, isn't it easier to take the whole wheel out, alltogether ?

That's what I do Mick. I never disturb those bolts until I have to. I'm not sure that using spring washers is the right idea? It would be like fitting spring washers under your car wheel nuts.......Possibly ok on the flat type though? Ron

I too remove whole wheel on my 41 WM20 but have now made up extended bolts for my 47 YM21 project so I can remove wheel as BSA intended. I will still use locktite on them and also lockwire them as I dont want these undoing, imagine the damage that would cause!. The reason for extending the bolts is to make roadside repairs easier..

Ron,

I have just come across a M20 Drivers Handbook I have, not for my contract:grimacing: I found the section on the rear brake drum.
I quote.

The spring washers fitted with these three bolts have been replaced, {commencing with frame number W.M.20/82773} by chamfered bolt heads and corresponding spherical seatings in the hub.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

That confirms my thoughts. :+1: Ron

Thanks,

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

When I first got my bike as a 16 year old hippy I was for ever tightening those three bloody bolts so I machined up some bar a bit like Dave T's job and wired them up for security. They have been fine for the last 50 years so I think its proberly a good fix.
Richard

Have you tried Peter's Classic Bike Parts in NL for your bolts?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Nieuwe pagina 1