Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear tyre

After only getting 700 miles on the last one I've finally given up on K70s.
What do others think about rear tyres? My requirements are simple enough. The tyre has to work & wear reasonably, & preferably have a fairly appropriate tread pattern.

Re: Rear tyre

Blimey I got 2000 mile out of the last K70 on the rear of my M20 and thought that was bad! What pressure are you running them at? I put about 30 in my rears and 28 in the front. I've noticed that the K70's can be made in different Asian countries, so maybe the qualities and mix of rubber and Neoprene or whatever they use these days is varied. Were I can, I use Cheng Shin tyres with the same K70 tread pattern. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I just found these by google. Cheapest I've seen them and free delivery.Usually they'er nearer 60 Quid. I just ordered a pair to keep in stock.

http://www.roundandblack.co.uk/3-50-19-57n-cheng-shin-c180-classic-motorcycle-motorbike-universal-tyre-350-19-4625.html

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

700 miles?...I've never managed that with any tyre. Is your speedo recording correctly?..:laughing:

I decided a while back that the compound used to make the K70 had changed...My theory is that as the K70 probably has a relatively low sales volume the number of compounds has been rationalised and a compound from a softer, more 'modern' sports based tyre is now used...
I noticed the reduction in total mileage achieved about 10 years ago..I was getting around 8,000 miles from rear tyres fitted to various BSA singles and that fell quite suddenly to about 2-3000 miles...
700 miles may be some sort of record though....I still run K70s so it will be interesting to record the mileage achieved on the next lot I fit....
I think personally it is unlikely that there are variations in K70s that come from different manufacturing plants unless they were manufactured for specific markets...

A 'silver lining' might be that there is less chance of falling off with a softer tyre......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

"A 'silver lining' might be that there is less chance of falling off with a softer tyre"

....but a greater chance of high-siding if you put the power on too hard and too early :grinning:

We are talking of an WDM20 here, does that go with power.

0-60 in 5 days, weekends in 2...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the input folks.
I used to get about 2000 miles or a bit more out of them & wasn't impressed but stuck with them 'cause there wasn't much else.
I run them at around 30 psi. There's a small amount of dirt road riding. That's about it, the speedo wouldn't be that far out.
This particular tyre was about 8 years old but stored inside.
Maybe I just got a bad one?

I still find a lot of riders use psi about 8 lbs higher that the manufactures recommended about 70 years ago I still use about 18 front 22 back on my M20 and big4 etc for running at about 50 mph and some gravel with block type tread. I think this gives a smoother ride and a bit less mpg. With Avon Road Riders on another bike I do bump up the psi. A provoking thought is that most riders are now 40 or 50 lbs heavier than the average D R was 70 years ago so this could be the reason. Just a thought Bryon

It is with considerable embarrassment that I have to report I've misled everybody about this. The true mileage I got out of the tyre is nearer 1700, I misread the numbers & fixated on "700". Stupid boy.
Sorry for wasting everybody's time. And sorry, Mr Dunlop. Apart from the wear aspect, I quite like your K70.

Nieuwe pagina 1