Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dull Chrome...

Thanks Dean, I wasn't sure. I know the tank has to be heated and that takes ages. My mate has taken me round the place every time I've gone there, and he's explained every step to me, but remembering it is my problem :relaxed:

Rik, the process I'm describing is for re-plating a part. If the part is new, the surface is good anyway and not rough like it is when the acid has stripped off old chrome and etched the surface. When I first had some parts done, I said I don't want it polished or shiny. My mate tried explaining to me it had to be polished, so he got my kick start lever and dull chromed it without polishing. It was full of pits and looked awful. He'd made his point and said do you understand now..? :laughing: It didn't look bad when I gave it to him, but the acid takes out any rust and leaves a pit. So the main problem that I've found is how far do you go with polishing out the pits, you can end up with parts looking deformed. It's a bit of a compromise with rusty bits. Or you can spend a fortune filling in every pit, which he did for me on some Mazak Norton Domminator tank badges I had re-chromed. It took him hours.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1