The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Slightly off topic - 16H gearbox and Sturmey Archer boxes

Hello Horror,

Thanks so much for your good guidance! I'm in the information gathering stage right now, and I haven't dismantled my Sturmey Archer box yet. It tends to skip over third gear. The weather is against me just now, as my shed is about minus 7 celsius and as drafty as a railway station. I'll take plenty of pictures when things warm up.

Very best wishes, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Allan,

I have just built one of these early 4 speed Sturmey boxes. Some gears are interchangeable but part numbers are different. I found the ratios were the same apart from second gear. Watch out for the layshaft as on your type it will run in a bronze bush in the back of the main case, where a Norton dolls head box has a roller bearing, so shafts are different lengths. Also the 3rd gear on the sturmey layshaft has not a floating bush as the Norton has so watch for this. Also the large sleeve top gear may not have the loose roller bearings in it. Watch for different lengths of these gears as well. Kickstart pawls are different but you can fit the whole kickstart shaft from a dolls head box.
Another tip, don't buy one of the Indian kickstart shafts, i have tried to use one in the past and it fitted ok but when i tried an original kickstart lever i founf the fine splines were different.
The gears you will need will be from a dolls head type box but watch for the points i have listed above.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Tim,

This is really excellent information! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge as I set about rebuilding my Sturmey 4 speed. I will take careful note of all the points you made since these are the kinds of detailed tips that can only come from practical experience. I like to gather as much information as I can before I dismantle anything, as I've learned the hard way that memory can play tricks when it comes to reassembly. I always take plenty of pictures.

You've been very kind. Thank you! What is your Sturmey-Archer fitted to?

As always, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1