Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More or less gasket shims - Lucas Altette !

Hi all

I recently fitted a fuse on the positive side of my battery. When i press the horn button it blows🙂

I have read this could be down to my altettle drawing too many amps. Fo i take gaskets out or add in to reduce current ?

Cheers

Ant

Re: More or less gasket shims - Lucas Altette !

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but out of interest waht size fuse are you using and what voltage are you on.
I've upped to 12v and fitted a voltage dropper for the horn. The horn does make a sound with the voltage dropped fitted so I've taken it out and blimey you can hear the horn. My 10 amp fuse hasn;t blown bit then I don't use the Italian horn technique.:wink:

i also installed a fuse on my bike,except the horn get his own wire directly from the battery because it takes too much amps.
so if your horn was working correctly before you placed the fuse there is no problem with it.

The live feed to the horn could be shorting. That can cause the fuse to blow.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Sorry, I meant the live feed to the horn push button.

You should not have a live feed to the horn push. The live should go to the horn and the earth return should go to the horn push, Other wise you will have a dead short every time you push the button.

Absolutely right Ian, my mistake.

Hi Guys

Well its one of the worst jobs ive done on my bike but i think i have cracked it :-)

The bike is on 6v with a 15A fuse. I hooked up an multimeter to find the horn drawing 17 Amps ! Wonder it didnt burn out !

I bought a new set of gaskets from Taff and added them in one by one, rebuilding and testing each time.

Eventually i managed to get down to 4amps with 2 thick gasket shims and one thin but even the tension on the bolts and the adjuster positions were super critical.

Cheers

Ant

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1