Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
info required

While on a bike rally down the west coast of south island NZ last weekend, I came across a WD M20 amongst a collection of other bikes in a small town called Ross. I told the owner I would try to find out a bit about it for them.
WM20 engine numberWM20 frame numberWM20 number plate
I think the number plate is 93 YD 50. Thanks Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Re: info required

This BSA with frame number WM20 91346 left the factory in 1943 and it had tank number C5124746 and it's build under contract S1048-34. After the war it is used in Germany at BAOR. On the key card it also says 16BVD and B/41, not sure what that means. During it's post war use it had indeed post war military registration number 93YD50. Original it had matching engine and frame numbers so at some point it received a slightly later replacement engine.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

BVD is 'Base Vehicle Depot'.

16 BVD was the BAOR depot at Olen, Belgium.

Does the record indicate where it was sold ? Quite a lot of machinery came out of the front and back doors at Olen, as far as I can understand.

Here al info as it's on the card.

Henk

93YD50

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

It looks as if it says "S/O" (Struck Off) - 16/2/70. Would that make it one of the last M20s to have been sold ?

B/41 is probably just the document reference and it looks as if it was disposed of from storage. This is the same source as many of the U.S. M20s. Did it reach NZ via the States ?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any further info about where it served prior to long-term storage and then eventual disposal.

The last M20 disposal I have heard of to date is 1971...I also met a chap who took his test on one in the army in 1970...

1937 to 1971 (ish)...34 years...not a bad service record...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the information, I will let the owner know, they will we very pleased. Cheers Barry

Now, the back door of Vehicle ordnance depot Olen was in Noorderloos, I believe. Now called Noorderwijk. Many happy memories of visiting Stock Americain De Hin. Nothing left on the map: https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.13446,4.8395806,17.75z I think the road now called Grebbenbos led to the rear of the camp.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

The information on the key card for this M20 is exactly the same as for mine. Demobed same day from same place, same hand writing. From the photos it looks to be in about the same condition.
Where in NZ is the owner from Barry? I'm from Christchurch.

Ben.

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

Hi All
Barry where in Ross is the collection? I am riding (On my F800 – M20 not quite on the road yet!!) down from Waikanae to the Burt Munro rally in Invercargill next week. Will be overnighting at Harihari pub and wouldnt mind looking at the M20 if possible. Ive found my M20 in the NZ Army vehicle register 1981 records recorded as being in the CMD (Central Military District) in 1949 – quite pleased about that!
Cheers
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Hi The bike is in a private collection, there is a bike museum next to the café in Ross and is owned by a guy called muz who lives in Christchurch and goes over to Ross now and then to open it. It's a bit hit and miss to catch him there, if he's there you can try asking him to take you to see the M20

I bought a Commando off a Muz from Chch in 1998….. Id reckon its the same Muz.

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1