Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
odd running

The restoration of my friends m20 is drawing to a close and I finally have it a point where I could start it. The bike ran when I got it and sounded fine, so I only removed the head and barrel to clean and paint them and change the gaskets etc. I did not remove the magneto or dynamo as I did not need to and did not want to change the timing.
After I had stopped the fuel pouring out of the carb and creating a fire hazard, much kicking over ensued, and it eventually fired up and sounded great, nice and smooth and good even throttle response. However it died after a short run much like it had run out of fuel accept it hadn’t and after further kicking over and some spectacular back fires it ran again but died the same as before. I took the carb apart checked the jet the float and valve and it all looked good, fuel flow from the tank excellent so it went back together and I changed the spark plug for a new L10 and fired it up again. It ran the same again but slightly better and then died with a flurry of back fires. The dog by this point was taking shelter from the backfiring:grimacing: . I checked the advance/retard when running and seemed to work fine and the choke the same, as it was dying I pulled in choke and it didn’t help. As magneto bikes are new to me, before start poking at the bike does anyone have any pointers to try first.
Regards
Grahame
DSC_5124

email (option): packagingmuseum@gmail.com

Re: odd running

Hi Grahame when I first got my M20 I took it for a ride and she would run a short distance before stopping, turned out the seal on the filler cap was too good and was creating a vacuum, loosened the cap a bit and problem ceased, it may be that simple for you too.
Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

When you say "Pulled in the choke" A simple mistake that I've seen on several occasions. The choke is off, when you pull the lever towards you. I never use the choke on any of my bikes anyway, Just a thought!

I can see that you have the wrong mag fitted (It will still work fine) Your advance cable is at the front which means the ignition is at full advance when the cable is slack ie lever fully away from you. Providing your timing is correct (you should check it) start by retarding the ignition by about 1/3rd, then fully advance it once you're running. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Always check the last thing you did.

If the head gasket isn't bedded down properly it probably wont start.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1