Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steering dampener

Hello Gentlemen,

Did the 1944 M20 come with a steering dampener?

Thanks,

Ben.

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

Re: Steering dampener

From memory the steering damper was deleted at some point in 1943 (probably an economy measure) but reinstated for 1944 (probably a safety issue). But I don't know the actual dates. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron.

Ben.

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

I had assumed that the steering dampener was only required in very arid environments.
I'll fetch me coat:blush:

WM20 78092 which is a 43 model according to the papers is fitted with a steering damper if that is any help.
I would have imagined the actual contract specification would stipulate weather a damper was to be fitted or not.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

From the war time photos I have I can tell you that the last photo of a BSA with a damper knob is a BSA with tank number C5130007 (WM20 96607). The first one without a damper knob is a BSA with tank number C5207500 (WM20 96800) so in between these two they stopped using the damper knob. Unfortunately there is still a gap between these two numbers so I need more war time photos from this period to narrow it down a little more. Keep sending these photos with readable tank numbers.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Steering damper

Hi Henk

Can you check your numbers C5207500 is a Triumph 3HW and WM20 96800 is C5130200?

The spare parts lists show contract S1048 having a damper and contract S2603 not.

You can't always rely on spares lists but that would make the last WM20 to be factory fitted with a steering damper as WM20 96817.

Rob:wink:

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Steering damper

Hi Rob,

The C52075XX is the BSA with the sleeping solder on it with the bullet hole in the toolbox. The last two digits are not visible and I probably shouldn't have put 00 there but instead XX and the same for the frame number of course.

Henk

C5207500

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1