Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel Tank Internal Rust Removal

I have an A65 tank that is very rusty internally.

Is Phosphoric Acid better than Hydrochloric for this job.

My gut feel is that the tank will be very porous after a good clean out.

If it can be salvaged, what is the best ethanol resistant liner to use?

Also, I have a fibreglass Spitfire tank and was hoping that a liner could prevent it melting.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Fuel Tank Internal Rust Removal

Caswell is a good one to look at. http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/ethanol-proof-fuel-tank-sealer/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I used "Slosh" lining gunk, which is still working well after a couple of years. Re rust removal, I am hearing folk enthusing about molasses and water. 1 part molasses to 7 water? But check. Results very good and easy stuff to use and dispose of.

I'd go for phosphoric acid, it leaves a protective layer of iron phosphate after it has converted the rust. It also helps dissolve petrol residues.

Just don't leave it too long or use too concentrated as it will also attack the metal. I used it on some rusty bolts, which I forgot, and ended up with nails a few weeks later :sob:

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi, i have just hooked my M20 tank up to a battery charger with a sacrificial electrode. Sounds dangerous but its not and the results were superb. I used soda crystals and water for the electrolyte. Took about 20 hours at trickle charge to get the results i wanted and there was no harmful chemicals to get rid of afterwards. You just have to make sure you dont cause any shorts !

Ant

Hey there,

I did my tank two years ago. I used vinegar for a few days, rinsed it with distilled water to prevent the flash rust.

Then I used a product called Evaporust, for about a day. After Evaporust bath was done I rinsed one more time with fresh distilled water and then used POR-15 to seal the tank and stop the pinleaks. Doesn't leak any more and is clean and rust free. I dryed it out with a hair dryer just stuck in the fill hole between steps.

Good luck Patrick!

I'm not all that happy with Por 15 at the moment. lined tank about 5 or 6 years ago, liner now flaking off in little pieces, flushed the tank a couple of weeks ago and am keeping an eye on it. Don't want to think about how I'm going to remove it all.

I've tried some of the methods mentioned but the best was this method on real classic website. Cleaned the inside of a very rusty tank back to bare metal.
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal.html

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1