Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wrong ammeter ?

Hi all

Just wondering if some one can assist. Ive noticed that my ammeter on my 1940 M20 is +/- 20 A.

Having reviewed the tec section i dont think this is a CZ27.

Dont suppose a 20A scale is that useful when it should be 8A ? Shame as it looks to be vintage with the Joseph Lucas Birmingham England caption.

Are there any good repro ammeters out there ? I presume if i want a CZ27 it will cost the earth :-)

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Ant

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

Re: Wrong ammeter ?

Hi Ant

Look up Ammeters in the Technical Section and print out the face that is posted.

Cheaper than sourcing CZ27.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi yes i saw that sounds like a good option ! If i cant get a 50s ammeter is it worth trying one off ebay ?

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

If the only thing that isn't original on your bike is the ammeter, then a CZ27 would be a "must have".

Most people, including me, are a long way from this.

I have never owned a British bike where the ammeter tells me what I want to know; the needles just flick around too much. All mine let me know is if the dynamo is sending some power to the battery i.e. charging it or not.

I have a Triumph which had Rotor/Stator problems. All the ammeter told me was when the Stator had burnt out i.e. no charge to the battery.

I fitted a little Voltmeter to it, which tells me that the alternator is working and that the regulator is working when the bike gets a good thrashing.

If it bugs you, then hunt down a CZ27. If not, put on whatever looks the part.

Regards

Pat

Mine was rebuilt in '45: enfield headlight and lorry ammeter. Whatever was to hand. Remove that and I'm removing history

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Oh dear, not the 'removing history' argument again...

It's a good job nobody thought that when it came to rebuilding the engine, I doubt it would run very well with all those 'original' worn out parts...:laughing: .....

Or worse, that it was made into a metallic purple chopper in the 70's, that might cause problems blending in at a 40s event....

Fortunately, history isn't static or frozen at a given point in time....All the changes that are made to the bike are part of its 'history', even the ones you might make, like fitting the correct ammeter....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A bit early in the morning for big purple choppers! I'll get my coat:smile:

:laughing: ...As 'Uncle Bunts Chop Shop' did turn my plunger A10 into a purple chopper back in the 70s I wonder if it's still out there in all its historical (hysterical) glory....KFH 151...are you there?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1