Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
speedo question

Can any of you guys answer this for me please .my speedo has a trip meter on it so I thought could be modern 60s 70s although there is a very old players fag packet packing the inside I would date much earlier .I have just been looking in tech section there is an article dates 1961 in the drawing side mounted speedo also has a trip meter on.just wondered does anyone know when this trip meter speedo came in mines 1944 .There's a speedo man here in Nottingham 5 mins away who would proberly know answer but I thought I'd just ask cheers Andrew

email (option): andrewbell12@hotmail.co.uk

Re: speedo question

Speedos with trip and/or illumination were in use on civilian models in the 1930s. Most WD machines though (Certainly by 1944) were specificed as 'non-trip'

A photo would be helpful to see what period face you have. The presence of the trip display would not prevent you from putting a correct WD type face on if you want to.

Hi Rik I've taken pics tried to post them but didn't succeed I'm not great at these these things. It has wd face on it but with out smiths logo the face looks brass behind hand is copper or brass with what looks like worn luminous paint can send you photos if you want to look cheers Andrew ps I decribed it to man at newark show he said it's a smiths clock but not sure what sort

Andrew, Certainly. If you mail it to me, I can post it here. If no logo then it sounds like post-war civilian. Does it have a screw connection for a light fitting ? If it needs repairing then most repairers will exchange or rebuild to correct spec. at no extra charge.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

This is Andrew's face.

It looks like an amateur restoration or a pattern face to me.

20180121_172736

I think the answer (if Andrew is concerned and not intending a professional restoration) is a WD type face without the trip window Some of the repairers sell them separately.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Thanks Rik for taking the Time to look at it .The marks on the face are
the smear Mark off a cloth. I didn't know you can get replacement wd faces ,you've given me a hopefully cheap and easy fix as you say it will cover the trip over regards Andrew

The pigment was apparently chalk based, and 70 years on comes off very easily. I suspect that someone found out the hard way and removed the Smiths logo and the part number.

If you talk to Russell at Chronometric Instrument Services (http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/) he can provide a new face to your requirements, and overhaul your speedo for a very reasonable price.

Thanks Simon there are two speedo repair shops near me Russel is one I've never been to him but him name keeps coming up on this forum so will nip it down to him .I think the speedo is original just the trip reset knob missing .cheers Andrew

Nieuwe pagina 1