Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox 1946-48

Has anyone got any information about these rare beasties?

I have the picture below but I can’t find a version with an index to the part numbers. To some extent I can work out what they should be by cross-referencing to the Dragonfly site info but there are a few gaps I can’t fill. Does anyone have a parts list?

Also if anyone knows where I can get parts I would be grateful for any tips. I have two complete boxes to make a decent one out of but the mainshaft gears on both are a bit ropey. Draganfly do have a few parts but not what I am looking for.

I haven’t actually tried the final assembly with the outer cover yet. Is there a trick to this? The kickstart stop/rubbers are in the outer cover while the rest of the mechanism is in the inner cover and I haven’t quite worked out how to get the kickstart shaft through the outer cover while tensioning the spring in the inner one…make sense?? Or do I assemble the outer and inner covers and then offer that up to the shell and shafts as one lump?

Cheers
Pete

302 B series Gearbox 1946 48 diagram small

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: gearbox 1946-48

These boxes are a further development of the gearbox fitted to the WB30...Another problem apart from the scarcity of parts is the fact the box has a fairly short main shaft and as they were only fitted for two years the correct clutch sleeve isn't that easy to find either...Further, only the poor quality (IMO) 6 spring clutch will fit...

Additionally, being of a far lighter construction than the box that ultimately replaced them I have found they haven't stood the test of time as well either...Unless you are determined to use the type I would consider machining the mounting lugs on the later box to suit the early gearbox plates and fitting one of those, thus solving all the problems in one go!..Replacing the kickstart return spring is a lot less hassle on the later box as well...

'Off topic' as far as this thread goes but relevant to the 'early' B31, the smaller steering head of the frame uses the same size cups and cones as a Bantam and they are easier to find using that description.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Pete,

I can send you a parts list for that gearbox with www.wetransfer.com I have an early B31 with such a box and maybe a few parts I don't need myself. Best send me an email if you are interested in the parts list.

Henk

email (option): ahu(at)quicknet.nl

I was wondering if i could modify a "normal" box to fit. If I can't find the parts I need to get a reasonable result I may well have to go down that route.

The clutch sleeve was a real bugger to get off but I hope I can use it again, and I can live with a 6 spring (just).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Cheers
Pete

I may have a wartime gearbox casing which has been altered to fit the narrow frame, I can have a look tomorrow.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

i have some parts also about this gear box -
i will try help u if u need it
cheers
Hussein

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

I squeezed a Bob Newby belt drive into my XB 31,it can be done. If you are going to trim a box down to fit the rails a C12 one in a good one to use. I have a complete 1946 box I would consider parting with.

Yes, it is a crazy design with the spring in the gear-compartiment and the speedodrive below the sprocket. And narrow gears compared to the M-series. It would probably be even on the edge for the 350 so much too light for the 500.

But I would surely keep it and try to rebuild it. This is just what make these early light-weight B series interesting. and these boxes can still be found, often wrongly described as M or later B types.

If your clutchsleeve is beyond use you can fit a C-type sleeve. It has the same dimensions but lacks the boss at the back to take the scroll-ring which seals of the chaincase/sliding plate. .

Good luck, Michiel.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

['If you are going to trim a box down to fit the rails a C12 one in a good one to use.']...

The C12 gearbox is basically the Plunger A10 box with different mountings and its own mainshaft...To fit a BSA 6 spring or Triumph clutch you will have to fit a S. Arm mainshaft...For a Norton clutch a plunger A10 mainshaft..

The problem is the distance from the mounting holes to the mainshaft centreline is far more on the C12 box than the B or M boxes...That compromises the fit of the primary chaincases...In fact they won't fit...Also you might find clearance problems with the oil tank...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Henk, I have sent you an email :relaxed:

Cheers
Pete

Nieuwe pagina 1