Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earth point

I notice there is a grub screw electrical connection on the end of the mag case at about 7 o'clock when looking at the points cover.
Am I right to assume that this the the bike's earthing point for battery and regulator earthing?

Re: Earth point

On my 1950 M21 that is where the battery ground connects.

That's an interesting question.
Does it in any way matter where you use the earth point ?

Michael
That's an interesting question.
Does it in any way matter where you use the earth point ?
No, it does not.
BTW, I routed an earth wire from the headlamp’s shell to “my” earth point, which happens to be on left side saddle bolt/stud (those that are holding the saddle springs). It just fits my new alternator arrangement and there I also connected the negative pole of the batt., of course (also rear lamp and sidecar lamps negative wires). I think that this extra negative wire is a good solution to overcome the bad electric connection to the front section. Those bearings in the front stock can give trouble.

On all the other bikes I've built I use a frame bolt near the battery as the earth point. I also run earth leads from components back to this point rather than rely in frame/component continuity. A biy belt and barces I know.
My question here was prompted by finding the terminal on the magdyno.

I also use the main frame bolt under the saddle...and the 'extra' earth wires for headlamp, horn button and rear light...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Dean
I notice there is a grub screw electrical connection on the end of the mag case at about 7 o'clock when looking at the points cover.
Am I right to assume that this the the bike's earthing point for battery and regulator earthing?
Its there to earth the magdyno to the bikes earth point rather than rely on a path through the engine to the frame.

on the topic of dynamo's etc I may have posted this before if so 'tis an age thing!
my E3LM has a small triangle faintly stamped on the end casing with the letter 'R' stamped inside it, anyone come across this before?. kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Keith H
Dean
I notice there is a grub screw electrical connection on the end of the mag case at about 7 o\'clock when looking at the points cover.
Am I right to assume that this the the bike\'s earthing point for battery and regulator earthing?
Its there to earth the magdyno to the bikes earth point rather than rely on a path through the engine to the frame.
Aha, that makes sense Keith, many thanks.

Nieuwe pagina 1