Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front fork spriing removal

Dear All

A while back someone posted images of there solution to removing and replacing the front girder fork spring, I don't seam to be able to find the thread again. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to find it as I have almost stripped my bike down now and will remove and strip the forks in the next couple of days.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: Front fork spriing removal

Stuart you don't say how far you've got with removing your forks. But starting from scratch, the way I do it is:-

Remove the top link lock nuts and then the through bolts and then pull or tap the top links out. Remove the bolt that is screwed into the top spring scroll and by swivelling the forks down you can remove the scroll (witches hat shape) from the head clip. The forks will now be swinging on the lower links. Remove those and away with the forks. The spring is just screwed onto the lower scroll which sometimes needs a small drift to get it to start unscrewing. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Stuart

Let me know if you need a new girder fork spring.

Alberta Springs in Colchester can do a batch of 15 for me for £30.00 each excluding postage to me and then outward postage.

I have only two other takers at the moment, so haven't asked them to do it yet.

Russell motors have sold out of springs and Dragon fly charge around £65.00 plus postage.

You can get Indian copies from ebay at around £20.00, but I wasn't going to risk one on my bike. A guy in Greece is selling NOS ones on ebay for £150.00.

I think the spring should be 10 inches long, so check it for length, signs of cracking and pitting before you put it back on the bike.

Mine has cracked all the way through, so I know I need to do mine.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Thanks Ron for all the details regarding the spring removal, I will try it tomorrow as the girders are the last thing to be removed from the frame. Today I successfully removed the engine and gear box, a struggle to do on my own, I didn't realize a small engine could weigh so much.

Dear Patrick I will check the spring and let you know if I need to renew the one I have.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vov.net

I believe they use old M20 engines in Portsmouth docks as swinging moorings for aircraft carriers:slightly_smiling_face:

Nowadays I put the crankcase part of the engine in the frame and build up the barrel,head and magdyno afterwards. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1