Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OIl Leak, how to cure it?

Hi, Another bit of advice needed please. Spent a few hours trying to solve a leak but its still weeping.
I have attached a couple of photos...hopefully
20171230_160334
20171230_160411_1
The leak is on my 1934 BSA timing cover . It comes out of the thread of the Big end feed insert.
Normally a small bit of sealing paste would do the trick but i am dubious about using any because in the first few threads there is a small oil way which runs back into the inside of the timing compartment.. What is this small oilway for? dont want to block it as know doubt its highly important.
My oil pressure is as manuals say.
Tried using a washer on the under the locknut but oil still creeps out the the top of the nut.
Am i missing something ?
Any help greatfully received
Tony

email (option): tony.g.moore@googlemail.com

Re: OIl Leak, how to cure it?

Hello Tony,

I may be in error here, but the picture looks a lot like the set up of my 1930 BSA sloper side valve of some years ago.

The part you indicate is, as I recall, the "tell-tale" oil plunger. Basically the flat piece of steel rises up when the engine is running to show you have oil pressure from the pump. When the engine is turned off the long adjuster with the knurled top closer to the center of the crankcases can be turned off as well, and so prevent oil seepage into the crankcase, or wet-sumping. Naturally one wants to turn the oil on before starting again.

A small amount of oil leakage from this plunger is absolutely fine, although in my day we uses to pack fiber washers under the hex nut around the shaft of the plunger, which worked for a while.

Again, I may be in error here, as the 1930 model may not be exactly the same as yours. Perhaps a picture of the entire bike would help?

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

I'm not sure the 34 side valves had a tell tale Allan.
The 27-30 OHV most certainly do.
On the 27-30 OHV they have a cupped felt washer on inside of the timing cover 24-715.
The timing cover inspection cover is an usual adaption as well.

Hi Allan, thanks for your reply, the bike is a sidevalve sloper as you guessed, 1934. Its not a tell tale, not got one on this model
Its i guess a pressure operated oil feed to the big end. The piece unscrews and has a ball bearing and spring built into it.
the issue i have is that i get oil weeping out from the thread above the lock nut.
I would normally add a small bit of sealent to the thread but just under the first couple of threads is a small oil return. Not sure what this oil return is , anyone know? As i said i dont want to block this oil way as its there for a reason.
tony

bsa
Hi Allan, heres a picture of my project. Not been on the road since 1974.
Tony

Nieuwe pagina 1