Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP !!!

Hi all am new to site, have for last year Ben on a barn find m20, bike has no miles on it as was refurbished by REME after the war then sold on from pride and Clark in Stockwell.
Have striped bike to an inch of its life! And bead blasted and painted it and am in process of putting it all back together.
Have engine and gearbox in frame and front girder forks fitted but for the life of me I can’t understand to Way the rear axel fixes together!!! I live in Reigate Surrey, and wondered if anyone was a little local that may be able to give some advise, my number is
07595 546969. Anyway good to find this site!
Cheers simon

email (option): Simonsuzanne@hotmail.co.uk

Re: HELP !!!

Simon

Suggest you download the maintenance manual in the technical section of this website, there is an excellent rear hub assembly illustration.

Also, you can go to draganfly.co.uk, wheels, in the BSA M20 tab, and go to the model of interest, for example:

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/914-2-girder-front-1938-47-m-groupp

for the 1939-1947 M group. There are exploded wheel hub illustrations that might be helpful in arranging the parts in reassembly. I have used their illustrations more than once in reassembling these kinds of items.

Good Luck

Dave W.

email (option): dwdiak4@gmail.com

Hi Simon, you live in my birth town! Although I live in Poole now. However I'll be coming your way with mates on Jan 20th, so could pop in to give you some pointers if you're still stuck. One easy mistake when assembling the rear wheel in the frame is to fit the snail cam chain adjuster the wrong way round (lots of us have done it) It will still work but will effect the full operation of the rear stand. Also the adjustment of the wheel bearings can be a bit of a work up. :slightly_frowning_face: Ron
scan_170926_0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Simon,

Did you fit new wheel bearings?

If you fitted like for like i.e. imperial with imperial or metric with metric and they fitted before, then it shouldn't be that that is causing any problems.

If you replaced metric bearings with imperial then the thrust washers have to be machined down a bit.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi Simon

Metric 30204 is 15.25mm wide

Imperial 05079 is 14.38mm wide

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Thanks Dave, rob and Patrick so so much for your advise and help, I think the best thing I can do is post some photos but first need to work out how to post pics lol, seems my rear axel so does not look like the one shown on diagram ,
And Ron wow yes if you can spare a few moments looking over what I have when you visit mid month that be great, beer coffee etc all included lol
My other war bike is a fully working 1943 Harley wla, hand change and left side front brake lever lol
Once again thanks guys and sorry for delay writing back but was away
Cheers and happy new one
Simon r

Sorry ment Ron! Not rob lol

Simon email me with your mob number address etc and I'll plan something. I'll really look forward to coming home! In the meantime post pictures or email them to me or ask away. I only tried riding a WLA once but couldn't get my head round the "toe to go clutch" after my Indian 741 "Heel to go" :confused: Ron

Arrrra Ron the black art of hand gear change! Lol will mail you later fella, are you running an m20 at the moment?

Oh yes. My M20 is my good old faithful. I've had it for nearly 30 years. I've built the engine into 600cc M21 spec now. I'll be visiting Kempton Park jumble on the morning of 20th and then coming past you for our "Indian Riders" annual winter bash at the 'Horseshoe' in Warlingham in the evening. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1