Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help requested on cracked kickstart housing

My kickstart housing is cracked and will be grateful for help from forum members who have had similar problems.
Is this a common issue, eg a weakness with the housing, or is it something not so common?
Can this be left as is without any further issues, assuming that stresses causing the crack have been relieved?
If I need to weld it, I would normally do the weld prep, then take it to an expert to weld. Should I expect distortion, requiring machining after welding?
The crack runs through the boss. Should I leave this and only weld the outside, thus eliminating the need for re-machining the boss?
Or perhaps I should scrap the item and find a replacement? Are these items readily available?
Any help is appreciated.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Re: Help requested on cracked kickstart housing

This happens quite often with these covers, especially when the valve lifter isn't used when starting the bike. Good covers are getting hard to find but they are made of pretty good aluminium and it can be welded.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Personally, I wouldn't weld the kick start boss itself...I have found they distort and are nearly impossible to machine to the normal size after welding...If they are recoverable it is only by machining slightly oversize and making a new bush to suit...

However, boring the hole larger weakens the casing even more...

The method I use is to turn down the outside of the boss (inside the gearbox)and fit a snug fitting steel sleeve to support the boss...This is Loctited with 'retainer' grade Loctite...See the picture below. Bear in mind that the kickstart spring will still have to fit once the work is done...You could weld the less critical areas to repair the case....

...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A few years ago, I had the same problem, but not on the same scale. Dave Plumb did the welding on mine.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave welded mine as well...I sent him 4 or 5 cases but ultimately only two were a success due to variations in casting quality that caused welding problems and the after effects noted in my first post regarding accuracy...

After that I developed the sleeving repair as a more consistently successful solution...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, sounds like a good fix. I guess the steel sleeve dimensions are ID 1 25/32", OD 2", Height 3/4".

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1