WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nortons in Russia...

It's a long way from Dunkirk to Russia...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Nortons in Russia...

Those are not Dunkirk bikes. With the steel pannier tool boxes they are from contracts C6653 or the first half of C7353 so not produced until mid-1940 into early 1941. If it's Russia then perhaps captured in the Greece campaign. They've certainly been modified in terms of headlamp and pillion seating so not recently captured in the photo.

Did they get rain and flash floods in any parts of the North Africa campaign ?

I've read several accounts of flash flooding in North Africa including one by Spike Milligan, I do enjoy using him as an historical source. But this could still be Russia.

What is the lorry?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Gents

I have the same picture but with a caption German army in Russia with an Dutch Army Ford in the background.

I received it quite some time ago via Rob van Meel.

I am not sure the caption is correct.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Rob, I was pretty sure that they had torrential rain in some parts of North Africa (Tunisia ?) but was too lazy to look it up. The lorry is a left-hooker and I'm not good on US style cabs - If RvM says that it's a Dutch Ford then it probably is. I can't imagine them having been taken with the Afrika Corps, nor can I think of a reason for it to have arrived there by any other means.

If Russia then it probably shows that captured material from Greece was taken there.

None of them are wearing tropical uniform...I suspect the original caption is correct...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have this picture captioned as Norton 16H captured and used in Russian mud.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Been looking on trucks a bit but it is more likely a 1939 Chevrolet 1,5 ton truck.
Used by both Dutch and Belgian army apparently.

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

the lorry is GMC ACK 353 1,5t used by french army. greets

Since the germans relied on horse drawn supplies to a great extent I would imagine anything they could salvage from defeated foe was gratefully hoovered up

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Having looked at millions of pictures, looking for military bikes, I can only agree. The Germans used a huge variety of captured vehicles and equipment. From Poland and throughout Europe, they either took as-is or used tank chassis and adapted them for their own purposes. It must have been a logistical nightmare supplying anything from BSA motorcycle to French Char B parts in the field......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1