Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Indian 741

Hi Steve. I own a 741 and I also Built a WM20/741 special. Records are pretty spares for these and it's almost impossible to know where or who they served with apart from any original features that might give some clues. However it's fairly safe to say that apart from a couple of test bikes, they weren't used by the US Army......Despite the Sirens, baseball bats, stars and stripes you are liable to see on restored examples.

There were thousands of 741's supplied to just about every other allied nation, and colony and there was a glut of them sold off onto the civilian market after the war by firms like Pride and Clark and Marble Arch motors. Everywhere you go today you can find red painted bobbers.

15 Grand is a common enough asking price, but in my opinion they are only worth that if they have most of their WD parts intact.

I'm also a member of... http://www.indianriders.co.uk/HOME%20PAGE.html
where you can find lots of info/knowledge/bikes/parts etc. Ron

741B_099

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, thanks for replying and you info
Comparing your photo of your bike, I notice you have crash bars and a blackout on the headlamp and your c number on the tank.
I have a wm20, what's she like to ride in comparison?
Thanks steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Well steve I don't think there is much to compare really. I find the 741 with it's low centre of gravity and pan saddle a nice comfortable bike for open roads when you're in top gear. The weight of the bike combined with a 500cc engine, 3 speed hand change box and foot clutch is not really conducive to town work or convoy duty. Which is why they seem to have been supplied mainly to lower echelon units (The RAF regiment had lots) However it's quite common practice to fit bigger pistons and valves for 600cc which is what I've done to my special.

I built my special from an unloved WM20 that nobody seemed to want to buy from me and a spare knackered 741 engine that I bought off a mate. Its much lighter weight with standard clutch and four speed box is a pleasure to ride and is far more in keeping with what I ride more often. I still love my 741 but consider it more of a riding challenge.

I would say that if you've never ridden one, then it's no good going to view one with a test ride in mind. You've got to just want one, buy one and then get used to it. For the sake of sanity I put my throttle on the right hand side. Ron

Indian_S_256

Cheers Ron
Just the sort of info I was looking for, I will go and have a look tomorrow and see what I think of the old girl
Thanks, steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

That sits dangerously nicely in an M20 frame ( which I too have a spare on of ).
Was it a big shoehorn or just some special engine plates ?
I feel the devil whispering in my ear.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Trevor, no modification to the frame was required. I just sat the engine on a block until it was in the right position. The engine mounting lugs were milled down to the same width as the M20 lugs and some 741 and M20 engine plates were cut and shut (welded together). The dynamo chain mounting was also milled off as there's not enough room for a 741 dynamo. I scalloped the rear engine/gearbox plates to accept a miller dynamo behind the rear cylinder.

I used a standard single spring M20 clutch (again with 2 plates removed). The triplex chain teeth were machined off the engine sprocket (just leaving the dynamo sprocket in place and an M21 sprocket was suitably machined and welded in place of the triplex teeth in line with the clutch sprocket. Likewise a 741 dynamo sprocket was welded in place of the miller belt pulley. Ron
Indian_S_019
Indian_S_038_1
Indian_S_165_1

The right side of the tank is part oil tank and part petrol tank.
I've always wondered what happens if the oil gets really hot and heats up the petrol next to it (...!) :right_anger_bubble:

Well I've never noticed the tank get any hotter than from the heat rising off the engine, which I imagine can only slightly warm the petrol and can that hurt? What about riding in the Sahara desert?? It was quite common practice during the 30's and I've actually used a 1938 BSA C10 tank. I made up oil pipes with Imperial fitting for the tank and US fitting for the oil pump. Ron
Indian_S_193

Nieuwe pagina 1