WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EB262 Adjustable Spanner specs

Thanks much, Rik.

Here's the one I am in the process of acquiring (in a trade for a similar US-made Billings & Spencer that I own):

Acceptable?

Interesting that you should mention a book. This is esoteric, but the resemblance of the Abingdon King Dick "adjustable spanner" to the Billings & Spencer "screw-wrench" or "monkey-wrench" or so-called "bicycle wrench," patented in the US on Feb 18, 1879 (#212,298) is unmistakable. Link to B&S patent on USPTO site here. The entire design - form and function - is virtually identical. The concept of them originating independently of each other is hard to fathom. Naturally, then, the question arises: which came first? Was it merely appropriated, one way or another? Or was there a relationship between the two enterprises? Not pertinent, but curious.

Duke, I only see a symbol and not a photo.

According to Ron Geesin in his book, the King Dick Spanner 'first appeared in the early 1880s and was a very close copy of Charles E. Billing's patent of 1879'. The King Dick logo was registered in 1881.

As far as I know the WM20 EB262 adjustable spanner should be a little over 4".

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I assumed that the tools in the drawing were more or less to scale.

The 16H has a six-incher that would be replaced by a generic WD 7" item in the event of loss, according to the 'Equipment to Scale' lists that turn up with some of the parts lists. Are there any BSA equivalents ?

Thanks, Rik and Henk.

Is the photo showing up now? It's showing up for me. Apologies if there's a glitch for others. Based on Rik's brief above, it appears to be postwar. It has the closed-off slot, like Henk's, but it has the longer thumbnut.

I don't see your photo.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Duke, Trying to open the link brings up the Garage Journal Board but one has to be logged in to see anything.

Nieuwe pagina 1