Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox case numbers

Hi All,
The main case of my gear box it not in the best of condition and as I plan on rebuilding it I am looking for a replacement. I have been offered one with the number 66-3141 but the current one ends in 3128, does anyone know if these are in fact the same thing given BSAs unique way or part numbering?
Thanks in advance.

Scott

Re: Gearbox case numbers

I'm guessing it's a typo in your post but the M20 gearbox case number is 66-3028..not 3128...

That aside, throughout the war and up until the gearbox was changed for the tele fork models the 66-3028 number was the one used...

Quickly looking through early post war lists for different models I can't find the other number you quote...I'd avoid the case unless you can tie the number down definitively...Different numbers usually mean different parts...

I may have a spare one but will have to check...Mail me off forum if you draw a blank...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,
Okay, brain fart on my part it is actually 66-3030.
Short of measuring with a vernier they seem indentical. The plot thickens......😳
Scott

Found the answers on the tech page, why I didn’t go there first I don’t know!
Any way yes it will work, post 48 Production
Scott

That one won't do it...post 48 gearboxes were filled with oil through the front cover, whilst WD boxes were filled through a filler 'spout' cast into the main gearbox case...

As the later gear box case doesn't have the filler spout, if you fit the inner and outer cover off a WD box to the later case there isn't anywhere to put the oil in!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yeah, that could be an issue!😂😂

Nieuwe pagina 1