Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running engine without dynamo connected

I am nearly at the stage where I can run the engine in the M20 but it may be a while before I can do the wiring. Will I do the dynamo any damage by running it discnnected?

Re: Running engine without dynamo connected

Hi Dean...No you won't do any damage, you can safely run the bike without the wiring in place...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Interesting debate to be had here.

My understanding was that you can run an alternator with no permanent magnet without doing any damage (i.e. you cannot "switch" it on without a battery), but with no voltage regulator you could risk overheating a dynamo or a rotor/stator type alternator.

I did run an A10 for some time without the dynamo connected to anything and it didn't do the dynamo any harm.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Cheers guys. Better get her oiled up then!

If you intend running it without the dynamo for a while, it may be better to remove the dynamo drive gear. If you fit LED lights, you can do supply these direct from the battery and will be good for day trips. I have been doing this for years. LED lighting, unless high powered is no good for night riding.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Peter, thanks for your advice.

To clarify, I only intend to give the engine its first start up in the garage and run for a few minutes to check that for any major problems, rattles, leaks etc.
I don't intend to ride until the wring and lights etc are installed.

If it has just been re-built, make sure you re-torque the head gasket when the engine has cooled back down.

A solid copper head gasket is far superior to a composite head gasket.

I can never get a composite gasket to seal properly on my M20 (iron head).

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

To avoid any confusion...You can run the dynamo without it being connected and you won't damage it...I've done it many times...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Patrick. Thanks for your tips re head gaskets. It came with a gasket set whcih included the composite type so that's on it fpor now but I'll keep an eye on it.
On the A10s I use solid copper and never had a problem.

Ian, thanks for you reassuring advice. I'll be in touch when I get round to the electrics for a period battery case (assuming you still have them)

Nieuwe pagina 1