Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
broken

I have a spare side cover in very good condition, but unfortunatly the quill (is that right..? the oil pipe) is broken.
What would be the best way to repare it ?
Anyone done this before ?
Is it easy to remove, just a light tight fit ?
I'm afraid to do more damage.

Re: broken

Hi Michael I am doing the same on my YM21 rebuild, I just heated up cover and pulled out old quill using a coachbolt screwed into centre and pulled out with pliers, I am now looking for a replacement I could machine one up on my lathe but I would have to heat treat it. The part number is 66-0698 russel motors have them listed but I have not phoned Les yet to confirm.... Dave

The quill isn't hardened so no heat treatment required...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

If you MIG-weld a short piece of M6 or M8 stud on the broken quill and a place a bush and washer over it you pull it out by turning a nut on the stud. Very controlled way without much risk of other damage.

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

There is one for sale on ebay at the moment ebay number 172665681963

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I think I,ll spend a 1/2 hr on my lathe to knock one up,I have another in a later case to take measurements for the quill part. I thought they were treated but good to know they are not.Must be a market for these as I always see covers with broken quills ? Dave

It's a bit tricky to get it firmly in place. The part that sits in the aluminium is a bit lower then the aluminium and the aluminium is pressed over the edge of the metal.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Quill now made took a bit longer than a 1/2 hour but end result is good, machined this for a press fit once timing cover was heated.Also got round to finishing my rear stand now fitted to bike and works well.One more thing I have made for my project YM21 is a cage for a battery holder I had with the front cage missing , Well if the Injuns can make these parts so can I....

Looks very nice, Dave.
I guess the trick with pressing the quill in place is to get it straight into the cover, so it will exactly enter the crankshaft.
Let us know how you get on.

Michael are you still looking for a oil quill ?

Ebay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bsa-M20-timing-cover-part-NOS/263369207878?hash=item3d52073046:g:JcAAAOSwWxNYsFSk

Seems about the right price, I have now fitted my cover and checked quill with engineers blue alls ok .I pressed my quill in with a drill press once I had set up cover on surface plate. Just made a tight fitting sleeve which fitted over quill and held in the drill chuck then just pressed home into pre heated cover. simple but time consuming which is the way with these old bikes... Dave

Hi all how tight in the cover is the quill supposed to be mine is just a snugg fit but can be pull or pushed in and out easily if this is too loose how should it be held in situ cheers Andrew

email (option): andrewbell12@hotmail.co.uk

If you de-oil everything properly with thinners or something, 'bearing/bush' fit Loctite will do it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cheers Ron thanks for quick reply will crack on

email (option): andrewbell12@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1