Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Service - oil change

Hello All,
I'm new into M20's and drained all the oils. I now have 2 specific questions before refilling:
- do I also need to put a small amount of oil into the sump so that it doesn't run dry when starting up? If so where do I fill it and how much oil?
- what's the oil level of the chaincase?

Many thanks for you reactions!
Piet

email (option): carawagon@telenet.be

Re: Service - oil change

That's a very good question Piet. I have a "new" fully overhauled by REME in 1955 engine that's never been run, and when I do run it I'll face some of the same questions. The problem sort of solved itself because when I connected the oil tank it promptly wet-sumped! So I have oil in the motor base at least. Perhaps when you refill your engine you could take out the ball check valve and let fresh oil flow into the motor base for a few minutes.

As for the chain case, there is a level plug on the outside of the primary cover, between the two raised sections. Put in oil until it emerges from the hole.

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Hello Allan,

thanks for this! Didn't think about the trick with the ball valve! I also had a wet sump when I got the bike:sweat_smile: as the ball was missing

When I rebuild an engine, I oil everything as I go and put cam lube on the lobes and bearings etc. When the bike is ready to start I take the spark plug out and kick it over until the oil returns. You know then that the oil has gone round the engine.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Exactly my method...Cardio at the gym has nothing on kicking the bike over 50 or so times (even without the plug)..:laughing: Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello my method put on stand ,take out plug put in fourth gear, get a cushion sit behind and pull the wheel round , if they work don't mess with any balls or springs,if it ain't broke leave alone

even more good input! Thank you all very much

Allan Hunter
That\\\'s a very good question Piet. I have a \\\"new\\\" fully overhauled by REME in 1955 engine that\\\'s never been run, and when I do run it I\\\'ll face some of the same questions. The problem sort of solved itself because when I connected the oil tank it promptly wet-sumped! So I have oil in the motor base at least. Perhaps when you refill your engine you could take out the ball check valve and let fresh oil flow into the motor base for a few minutes.

As for the chain case, there is a level plug on the outside of the primary cover, between the two raised sections. Put in oil until it emerges from the hole.

Best wishes,

Allan
the level plug on the primary cover is the big one?

No Piet. That's where you fill it from and check the chain tension. The level plug is below the foot peg and only allows for about 1/2" of oil. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1