Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel jetting out of my float chamber!

Morning. Yesterday I started my M20 for the first time since he got me home safely in torrential rain from Goodwood.
I tickle the fuel through then start it with the fuel off. He started fine but on switching the petrol on 2 jets of fuel squirted out from the holes either side of the top of the float chamber. On inspecting the float I saw that the clip holding it in place on the rod was slightly off so slipped it across the bottom indent on the rod. Again it started fine but no fuel jets this time.
However on trying to leave home this morning I got 20 yards before he popped and died. So I moved the clip to the upper indent on the rod. Again started but the jets were back and now my DR breeches stink!
So what is the correct position for the clip on the float or is it something else that is wrong?
I have new taps and resealed the inside of my tank but that was all done before Goodwood and he went fine from Southampton there and back.............
Thoughts please.

email (option): Sglasssusie@aol.com

Re: Fuel jetting out of my float chamber!

Hi Susie, will answer here aswell, there must be something on the forum here where it explains about the 2 settings on the plastic float needle, maybe anyone will know where to find it??

Was there no water in the float chamber when you emptied it?? this makes the level a lot higher!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Susie what Uncle lex is saying. Plastic float, use the bottom groove. Brass float, use the top groove. Uncle Ron.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ah, Uncle Ron, he knows about this modern stuff!! I'm sure he'll sort your bike out, when it keeps giving problems! Wish I was nearer, but alas...

Cheers,

Lex

Ha, I see now there's 2 of the same posts?? maybe henk can merge them into one?

Cheers,

Lex

Allan Hunter
Nov 12, 2017 - 2:19PM
Quote Reply Re: Fuel jetting out of my float chamber!
Hello!

Fuel leaking out of the overflow holes means (usually) the needle attached to the float is letting too much fuel into the carb bowl. It does that when the clip is in the wrong place - because it has slipped or has lost its springiness. It also does it if the float has a leak.

Since you just completed a decent run without trouble I'd focus on returning the clip to its original position and then checking that there's no dirt under the inlet. Petrol can have a lot of grit in it at times. Do you use an in-line petrol filter? That helps.

Another thing to check is that the tickler is not sticking down. That would flood the bowl until you had no fuel left.

These are not complicated things to do but they may avoid trouble on the road and even a fire. I speak from experience!

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Rik
Nov 12, 2017 - 3:31PM
If it has two grooves, the float needle is clearly a recent one designed to work with both the modern nylon floats (that use a flat spring clip) and the earlier brass floats which have a raised integral clip.

Which type of float do you have ?

FerG3
Nov 12, 2017 - 6:09PM
You say your Beezer is male? Well there you go.....thats the problem.......prostate playing up, hence peeing all over your trews. Check this by poking a finger up the exhaust pipe and if the engine coughs, it IS prostate trouble, I' m afraid. Thats why most of us blokes have female bikes.

Nieuwe pagina 1