Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting wm20 on ebay

A conversation starter this one, even with my knowledge of these bikes gleaned from this forum i can see there is allot of later parts on it. But it does have a nice worn in look imo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-BSA-M20-1939-Delivered-War-Office-London-12-9-1939/132384574925?hash=item1ed2bc4dcd:g ZkAAOSwNWxZ-zx8

Re: Interesting wm20 on ebay

Yes, nice looking bike, but there is nothing early or 'deluxe' on it. Shame the seller did not do much research...

I guess the framenumber is not from factory or misread, and if it is original it probably is an early frontframe in a late war bike.

Cheers, Michiel

Yes it even has the later longer forks and speedo drive ( fitted from Late 1940 to my reckoning) But it does have an early toolbox knob . Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I really don't know why they bother with the bullshit descriptions...

It looks like an 'India Office' silencer, I wonder if that is original?..If so it's a first for me, never seen one fitted before....

Right bike but wrong money IMO..and I would restore it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Looking at Henks frame number's page Guy Maddocks has the earliest known surviving WM20 listed with frame number WM20 122 with the same delivery date 12/9/39, "IF" that frame number is genuine (not a restamp) and "IF" this is that machine I would say this is an incredible opportunity for someone and maybe this is in fact very cheap.

please note the "IFS" though.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/Frame%20and%20engine%20numbers.htm

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

On closer inspection: the frontframe looks early to me, it has the short headlug, which indicates the lightweight frontframe.

Rearframe could be early if it has the ears to take the short propstand just below the brakepedalpivot.

And beside the toolboxknob which Ron noticed it also has the lifting handle with stud to take the fieldstandclip, and a ribbed mudguard tailpiece, so there are some early parts present.

Maybe the engine also??, Pictures of the numbers will tell.

But not exactly 'Original and unmolested' as the seller claims.

Cheers, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

It all depends upon what you call original & unmolested ?
Does as bought from the military and nothing changed constitute "Original "
If it is exactly the same as the army was using it before it got sold then by all means it is original.

As for the latter parts fitted, did the war office only fit year correct parts to replace those damaged during use ?
Or just call up whatever was in stores ?

So perhaps he could have listed it AS used by the Army or untouched since being demobed which might have been a little better description but he has every right to call it unmolested if he has made no changes since he bought it.

Now if he has called it catalogue correct then that would be a different matter.

If one insists that original is as delivered to the war office then all of you had better scrub off those "unoriginal" insignias as they were not there when the bike was delivered so they are not original either

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Lets not get carried away in a haze of supposed 'authenticity'..

There are parts either missing or incorrect/post war and as usual it's a mix of parts from different years (though that's normal for an ex army machine)...

A lack of wiring indicates the lights are non functional so the battery/ dynamo/regulator must be suspect as well...

I'd also like a pound for every time I've hear someone say 'I don't like restored bikes and that's why it's like it is'...NO!...It's like it is because it's been neglected...

If that bike runs well it would be a surprise IMO...

The fact is, you could by a better bike for that money without too much difficulty. There was a far better bike that sold at the War and Peace Show this year for £6000 (M20)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It would be a great project, but to say it is original is going a bit far. Anyone notice the post '42 tank? And, shouldn't a '39 deluxe model have valanced rear fenders?

If I were the seller, I'd show images of the frame and engine numbers given that is the key selling point here.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Its finished so presumably its sold.

The factory ledgers say it was Delux and originally had the engine number WM20 1852.

Its original spec may be difficult to workout as its one of those early bikes that may have been in contract C7370 and could have been civilian to begin with.

Hopefully the frame number is original.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I'm suspicious of anyone (seller or otherwise) who refers to a motorcycle as 'her'.

It's a blasted machine for goodness sake !

Nieuwe pagina 1