WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Triumph 3HW handlebars

Hi Gents

A very interesting post.

Currently I am restoring a 1940 Triumph 3SW but the handlebars are completely incorrect. Was a source ever found for the 98/046 pattern or similar?

Thank you in advance.

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Brian Tillin had a batch of handlebars made (copied from an original 38 or 39) Of course they were chromed and had the silly 15/16" end for the Truiumph twist grip. Both of which can be overcome. His mob is 07786861697. Nice guy, mention my name if you phone him. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron!

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

I've realised since I restored my 3SW that the handlebar should be dull chrome plate and not painted. So a bright chrome bar can be light grit blasted to a matt finish. I need to take mine off for plating. Ron

Regarding 7/8 and 1" handlebars, does this mean that there were also two types of handlebar clamps?

For my 3sw project I have a 1" handlebar and controls, but original handlebar clamps seem to be very rare, so I have to think about buying the aftermarket parts from India, at least until I find an orignal set.

But the Indian made copies are 7/8 and I have my doubts that a 1" handlebar will fit into their smaller openings.

email (option): TheScrapyard@gmx.net

Indeed Oliver, the handlebar clamps are different and you can't fit a 1" bar into 7/8" clamps. I doubt there is enough metal to machine out the extra 1/16", especially considering the suspected weak nature of the Indian made items. Probably a case of searching jumbles and Ebay. Ron

Ok, there is a fire damaged 3hw girder fork on the market, but also with 7/8 clamps. Might be even safer to use the clamps from India.

So I guess I have to install a 7/8 handlebar and new 7/8 twist grip to get on with this project, the other parts might fit a thinner tube.

Thanks

Oliver

In that case Oliver, you could go with the standardized M20 bars as fitted to the later 3HW's as noted in Alberts post with pictures above. I Still have a few new reproduction WM20 bars if you need one. Ron

I guess I should wait until my Indian shopping trip is successful.

Somebody is offering a 3hw handlebar, 7/8, with 1" sleeve on the left side and "original". Don´t know what to think about it, but I guess this means I could use my 1" speedo grip.

What is a 1" speedo grip? Ron

"Twist grip for trottle". At least the one I have would not fit a 7/8 tube.

Ron Pier
What is a 1" speedo grip? Ron
You've seen Henk in his 'budgie smugglers' in Normandy, Ron and you're a man of the world. It shouldn't take too much imagination !:grinning:

OMG! Now you've put that image back in my mind:scream: Ron

Can you please give me brian tillian e mail id pls

I have two email address's and a mob number for Brian Tillin. Please email me directly for the information. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1