Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Some faith is restored

I've phoned their technical department in the past with similar results, they emailed me spec sheets on different bikes I was working on and helped with a problem I had. Very helpful.
But a very useful thing from them is the spec book on all the old bikes with all the "new" old carbs they make. I'm sure they sent me one, but they also give them away from there stall at Stafford.

It's a shame people have problems buying carbs from them, they've always had the carb I wanted. But I had the same problem you mentioned in another post about tightening up the flange nuts, as soon as you do that the slide doesn't move. In the end I had to tighten it a bit, see where it was rubbing and with very fine polishing paper, take some off the slide. Then repeat until I could tighten the carb. I checked everything was flat on the head and the heat spacer, it all looked OK. I think they're made out of cheese

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I think the body/mounting castings are too weak...

Although the head face and the carb flange may be flat the fact a halite sealing gasket is used allows a sufficient amount of 'flex' to distort the carb body when the nuts are fully tightened...

If two gaskets and a Tufnol thermal spacer are used the position becomes worse...

If a flat surface is bolted to another flat surface no distortion is really possible so it seems to me the gaskets are the only thing that introduces a variant...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I had the same thoughts Ian, the distortion that nips the slide happens at such extremely low nut torque values (Too low to even measure at a guess). It's heartening to here that it's not just me and that Horror has experienced the same problem and managed to get over it. However the process on a G3 might take me a month of Sundays unless I replicate the Tufnol block and gaskets on the bench/vice somehow.

I've sent my original carb back to Martyn who is more than willing to re-visit it and double check with the info from Amal.......I have just mailed them to see if it's possible to buy just a jet block which could just be the whole problem? (Or hole )

Incidentally, Martyn told me that the flange nuts should be done up to only 6 lbs torque. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

['Incidentally, Martyn told me that the flange nuts should be done up to only 6 lbs torque']..

Unfortunately measuring that in position is more difficult than removing a Matchless carb... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes you have to use an open end spanner and just say "click" when you think it's tight enough Ron

Ron, any chance of mailing me the carb spec card etc. ? The non /R carbs fitted to Nortons don't have the elongated slot / side drain and they do indeed piss fuel into the engine or back out of the inlet if there is any over-fuelling.

I'd quite like to compare jet blocks.

Email sent Rik. Ron

It's strange though, I've recently put new Amals on my Commando with no problem at all when tightening them up, but the B25 couldn't be done up at all without nipping up the slide. A spring washer under the nut or a blob of Wellseal on the thread helps to stop it working loose without it being tight. Loctite could end up undoing studs when getting it off.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Horror
It's strange though, I've recently put new Amals on my Commando with no problem at all when tightening them up

That might be because it's impossible to get a spanner on the b*st*rd, s*dd*ng, effing, c*nt*ng nuts on the Commando manifolds. :-)

Nieuwe pagina 1